+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rooting cuttings

Rooting cuttings

In the mist bed, in the greenhouse.

The mist comes on for 6 seconds, every 6 minutes, during daylight hours

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John, I was going to ask for pictures after I read the post about 20,000 cuttings. I like seeing the process. What all do you have in those mist beds? The mist is great.
    I miss my greenhouse so please keep the pictures coming.
    tennessee sue

In this section, there are 5 varieties of Euonymous (silver, gold, green & gold, burning bush and a variegated ground cover type), PeeGee Hydrangea, Flowering Almond,Red Weigela, 2 Viburnums (tomentosum & American Cranberry), American Boxwood, Blue Girl Holly, 2 Crape Myrtles (white & pink), Glossy Abelia, Red Barberry, and 5 Azaleas (Karen, Delaware Valley White,Poukhanense, Treasure and Little Beauty).
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Thats a lot of babies,John. How do you recommend starting Flowering Almond from cuttings with no mist system? Keep in mind no greenhouse in Zone 6b. I actually have a new one come up close to my older bush. Do you think it is from rrot,seed or layering maybe? It is one of my favorites as my Grandmother had one.
    tennessee sue

I think the surest way is to try to layer it, if you can. You could also put the cuttings in a pot, or tray, moisten the mix, and place the whole thing in a clear plastic bag, out of direct sun. Open, for about an hour, every few days, to give the cuttings some air, and to check on the moisture.

Mine seems to sucker from the roots. Mine hasn't layered, as none of the branches are touching the ground. I've never found any seeds on mine, but perhaps this could be because it has a nasty habit where, after blooming, all of the flowering stems wilt, and die back, and new shoots appear below the dead portions. I don't know if they all do this, or there is something wrong with mine. Anybody know?
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

mine doesn't have any die back after bloom. I am going to try to dig up the smaller one and see if it from the root as you said.I suspect it is. I think I will scrape away some mulch and try layering a branch or two.
    Thanks for the input.
    tennessee sue

Very nice John. Looks like things are going good for you.
    Them babies look healthy.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Sue,

I tried a couple of cuttings from my neighbor's flowering almond. They rooted quite easily. I took the cuttings in the summer (well after the bloom period). They were semi-hardwood, so I stripped all of the lower leaves. Then I slit the cut end vertically a couple of times (in a cross). After that, I dipped in Rootone and stuck in a pot that contained a little Soil Moist for added moisture retention. They rooted within a month or 6 weeks.

I remember that they overwintered just fine outside, but I do not recall getting any blooms that next spring.

Unfortunately, they were among the lost tag plants that were possibly crushed during the Ivan disaster. Anyway, I don't know if they survived or what....

So, I plan to do the same again as soon as I get a chance. The neighbor prunes the plant back heavily after bloom, and it is being overcrowded by other shrubs. I really do need to remember to take a few more cuttings soon so that they will have time to root before winter.

This is one plant that I do not see on the market, but I adore it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I never see them at nurseries here and they are so pretty in the spring. I will try some layering now and cuttings in spring.I don't think they would have time to root well enough here before the dreaded winter.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread