+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surprise Lilies but not the surprise I thought !

Blog Entries

Surprise Lilies but not the surprise I thought !

Checked on my pot of surprsie lilies tonight. The soil was dry and nothing was showing green so I figured they were dead. I lifted up the 5 gallon pot for a better look and that's when I saw the surprise: roots, numerous white roots sticking out of the pot. I quick put it back and figured they can surprise you from both ends !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    At least you know the bulbs are alive and they formed a good, healthy root system. Had they been in growth (leaves)?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I just got them last fall going into winter, and moving, so I threw them in the pot. They looked like they were sending up some green while in the garage pre-move. After the move they were outside in a protected place all winter. No signs of green but lots of roots. I wish I could say the same for the colchicum which are currently just small hard comma shaped things ( I don't know if I'd call it a bulb) which I have no idea if they are alive.

UPDATE: I gotta stop replying to myself ! I just found the following although it doesn't say they will turn into solid comma shaped things:
    Colchicums often sulk the first year or even first two years after planting. Don't give up on them just because you don't see flowers immediately or foliage the first spring after planting. Mark the spots where you plant colchicums so that you will not dig into them during the ca. 8 months of the year when they are below ground.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 08-17-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Maybe both will really surprise you and bloom next year, of course, that'd be assuming you get them planted in the ground!

You know, of all the plants I have in the large Family of Lilies, I haven't a single "surprise Lily", I must be slipping! Don't know where I'd plant them though, so guess it really doesn't matter much!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy,

Mine are just now starting to bloom. They are callled a surprise lily because the blooms surprise you by showing up before the foliage does.

Since mine are just now blooming, I am not 'surprised' that yours has not bloomed yet. They may not bloom the first year, though. However, it is worth the patience to just let them be... The foliage is almost as pretty as the flowers and doesn't get killed back by our frost/freezes.

When you do see them bloom, you will be surprised at how big, beautiful and delicate they are.

Keep us posted and watch for a bloom stalk that looks like an amaryllis bloom, only more slender. Yours sound like they are doing just FINE!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoops!

I almost forgot... Well, I guess I did forget, didn't I?

Here's a link to Tom's thread on these beauties....

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...=surprise+lily
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Like so many other common names, the 'surprise lily' name has been applied to several plants. Most of them are in the amarlysis family, but are definately a "Surprise" when they suddenly appear. Out front I have a group of about 12 Belladonna Lily, Naked Lady (Amaryllis belladonna) which bloom suddenly, fade away, and then later - much later put up their leaves. They are also referred to as Surprise lily, naked ladies, resurection lily and perhaps a few other names.

You may very well have to wait until they bloom to know for sure, and even then it may be a mistery for a while.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a big clump of these at my neighbors. They are beautiful. Then I noticed several neighbors had them. I guess I need to get me some too. They are definately worth waiting for.
    tennessee sue

Lowe's had these today for $3.98 so I finally got one. Wish I could have got more but have to be frugal right now. Planted in one of th new raised beds, Can't wait for blooms.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Well as Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise !".
    I was casually glancing out the bedroom window(always surveying for a bloomed daylily in the standby corral) and was very surprised ! I am not sure if these will be Naked Ladies or Spider Lily. They have a deep pink bud so might be Naked Ladies(had to free one stalk that was caught in the bubble wrap around the pot) :
    Attached Images  

Mine had nice green foliage and then the foliage dies and about now they
    send up shoots with flowers.
    Do some send up flowers first and leaves after?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Smile

Vicki,

What "we" have is
    Lycoris squamigera , that sends up it's foliage in the spring, dies back in June or so an then blooms in August.

There is another one that does the reverse,
    Amaryllis belladonna. However, I have read that the "Belladonna Lily" can behave like the "Surprise Lily" in colder climes, making things a bit confusing. There is a "tell" though; the petals of the "Belladonna Lily" are pointed, whereas the petals of the "Surprise Lily" are rounded.

There is only the one species in the genus "Amaryllis", but "Lycoris" has several as well as a few hybrids. The flamboyant "Spider Lily" is a "Lycoris" and our own Ann has a nice "stand" of them.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have a flower stalk coming up on a crinum that I have by the front path to the door.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    It has to be spring--my lycoris have sent up a thick stand of dark green leaves--unbelievable ! 2/28/11

+ Reply to Thread