+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A different Plumeria.

A different Plumeria.

Plumeria pudica 'Bridal Bouquet'

This is an evergreen Plumeria. Note the different shaped leaves.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Hi John, Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. This is a unique Plumeria due to the unusual foliage shape and I understand it blooms pretty reliably. Although I stick to the dwarf Singapores, this would be my first choice for a full sized one.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    I have always liked the Plumerias but never h ave grown one as they just get too big to bring into th e basement light garden in the fall. Too bad I don't have a green house, then again, it's probably a good thing that I don't because then there would be no holding me back from a lot of plants I'd like to grow.

The dozen or so Tripical Hibiscus are about all I cn handle these days and I sure hope more of the seedlings bloom this winter, although NOW would be better! All of them were prruned back hard this spring so none of them are blooming this summer. Should be some bloom this winter though.

Keep showing yout Tropicals, John, as I enjoy seeing them!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

John,

That is a beautiful plumeria, and so appropriately named!

Did you start it from a cutting? I assume that you are growing it in your greenhouse. I have wanted a plumeria ever since I saw one at Bellingrath Gardens. It was huge, and a beautiful rainbow color. When I asked if it was hardy, the groundskeeper told me that they dug it up and overwintered it in one of their greenhouses.

Do you know if this one produces seeds? I have tons of questions because I know so little about these beauties...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Check out the Plumeria page on my website.

Southeast Texas Gardening - Growing Plumeria
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Love the web page, Bob!

Will they take full sun during the frost free months? It seems to me that the one that I spotted at Bellingrath Gardens had filtered shade. I am running out of that with all these hurricanes, and it's going to take awhile to get it back again.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I grow mine in full sun here in Austin and believe me, the sunlight is strong here. They will bloom in very light shade, but Plumeria are meant to grow in full sun. I have seen Plumeria in Hawaii grow to small tree proportions just loaded with bloom - in full sun
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Anne- This is my first year with these plants. I first spotted one, in Leu Botanical Gardens, in Orlando, last September. I got them from a grower, in Homestead, FL, in May. They came up here as about 18 inch high plants, in 10 inch containers. They're about 3 feet high now. I haven't noticed any seeds yet, but if I get some I'll let you know.
    Here's a picture of the plant, at Leu.

I've got them in full sun, and they're blooming up a storm!
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

+ Reply to Thread