+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cone Flower & BE Susan seeding

Blog Entries

Cone Flower & BE Susan seeding

Can I just broadcast these seeds in the fall and let nature take its course and expect good results ?
    BTW
    Does anyone have cone flower or BE Susan seeds ...mine didn't make the move
    Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, Since these reseed so well you probably could start them this way.
    I have the pink coneflower and our native BE Susan. I will be more than glad to send you some seed. Next year I will have the white cone flower since you sent me the seed this spring. I'll let you know later on what other seed I collect.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

You most deffinetely can broadcast sow both of these "wild flowers" in the fall. You will probablt find seedlings from the coneflower coming up wherever you or the birds discarded/dropped a seed. They are extremely viable. The exception is the white form of the coneflower. Since Sue is saving seeds of the purple and also of the Black Eyed Susan (very invasive here) I will save you some seeds from my white coneflower.

Your timeing is perfect as I ill be deadheading all of the coneflowers in the next few days and any possibility of seeds would have been lost. I do have 4 white ones, none of which are very far from the purple ones, but one does have a better chance of producing white seedlings than the others and this is the plant I will save your seeds from.

The purple and the white will cross and 99% of the offspring will be purples but the stems/plant will look more like the white version, it will not have the red flush of color the purple specie has. Blooms are a bit different as well, often larger and the cones don't get quite as high of a dome as the species. The butterflies don't care, they love them all and the little finches that winter over here love the seeds. There is one nice sized patch of the purples that I will leave a good many seed heads on for the birds. If controlled, the seedlings won't take over, at least not as bad as BES does! Seeds of the coneflower are white and fairly good sized and are borne in the actual cone, the petals are actually just colorful bracts surrounding the cone which bears the true flowers, tiny, three petaled yellow ones that form in successive circles around the cone. They are really very interesting. Even Hummingbirds will feed from these miniscule blooms.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Wow ! Thank you Ladies ! It will look great !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cone Flower Seeds

Echinacea seeds are viable in the freezer for something like 25 years. That means, harvest as many as you can and winter sow them, the old fashioned way!

I have a lot of them, but they aren't frozen. I bet they are still good, but I cannot guarantee it since I haven't had a chance to try them. I saved them in a quart jar, just to see if they would stay viable at room temperature, but life got sort of crazy, and I haven't had time to try.

You are welcome to some if you want to experiment. They are the 'purple' ones.

The white ones are in bloom also right now, but have not gone to seed yet. They sure are pretty, though!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I was disappointed with the 'white' coneflower seeds. They ALL produced pale purple blooms. I do love the coneflowers though and have them growing here and there throughout the gardens. If they get to be too many I just pull them up. I don't mind as my garden 'style' is plant and let it grow. Same with the BES, great fillers.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread