+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pereskia

Pereskia

For quite a while, I have grown quite a view varieties of Pereskia. This plant is a true cactus but grows like a vine with significant leaves. Pereskia acculeata godseffiana, one of my favorites, is one that is grown for it's bright yellow and peach coloration but doesn't bloom until rather huge in size. I have one variety, Pereskia bleo that grows shrublike, never gets large, and reliably produces fabulous bright orange blooms during the hot season of summer. I will include a close up of the bloom and foliage in this post and place a subsequent post with a picture of the shrub (started from a few cuttings in spring).
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Here is the picture of the shrub (actually three plants clustered) of Pereskia bleo. The blooms only last one day but are produced in clusters (sort of like daylilies) where at least one comes out each day in the cluster.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob, Is your climate similar to that of ElPaso? I have a dear friend who moved there and has caliche soil. She misses all the things she could grow here. I will direct her to your home page and these pictures. Maybe she can get inspired by them.
    tennessee sue

Thank you Sue, El Paso does have caliche soils similar to Central TX hill country but it is even less rainfall and humidity than Austin so there will be some differences in what she can grow - more limited than Austin for example. They may have more temperature variationin highs and lows than Central TX as well. We moved to Austin from Houston in January and found gardening conditions to be completely different ourselves. I do think our website "Gulf Coast and Central Texas Gardening" will be of some help to her.
    Last edited by txbeyer; 07-29-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread