+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Timer' for soaker hoses

Blog Entries

'Timer' for soaker hoses

First off, I do not have any soaker hosees but aspire to putting them in. I was just at the supermarket and they have what they call automatic 'timers' for $5 apiece. This looks like a big markdown, but am not sure if they would be what you'd want to control the 'timing'. They can only be set to shut off after delivering x amount of gallons. They are really not on a timer except in the sense of shutting off after reaching the number of gallons that you indicate. I have no sense of gallons delivered but I do have a sense for time. So, I wonder, is this 'timer' really a good buy--will it be of any use since it's only based on gallons and not time ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

$5 sounds like a good price to me. You will have to do a little testing to see what works best, but I can imagine that those people who are worried about their water bill would appreciate the 'gallon' approach as opposed to the time approach.

Before we received city water in my subdivision, I used the 'timed' timers. I had more water outlets (on the house) then, and I didn't have to move the hoses around so much.

It depends on what you are watering, but a good soaking once or twice week is all that you really need.

I'd say, "Go for it!"

In my opinion, you got a good deal!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I assume from your report that there is nothing automatic about them and you have to set something each time you want the water to come on. Then you can set the "timer" to deliver a preset number of gallons and then shut off. If that were the case I would opine that it is a total waste of your money. Those cheap mechanical flow meters will either get calcium or dirt build up inside (Yes, there are minerals in your water), and they will either fail to come on, or shut off.

Now, because you said you do not have soakers, you also need to know that they do not deliver as much water at the far end as they do at the beginning of the run. So, never plan to attach multiple lengths of soakers and expect them to deliver water all the way to the end.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Hmmm....
    I did read that the life of a timer could be 1 month to 2 years regardless of brand. I did not know that the amount at the 'end' is not the same as at the beginning and Tom caught me as I connected long lengths of hose and soaker hose in my mental image !
    Sounds like an experiment is in order AND

Ann-I totally forgot to tell you that they were also selling yellow jacket traps ! I tried to find it on the internet but found this goofy link instead: ! http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Depa...wjacket50.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Tom brings up a good point. I've always used filters on my timers, but I was lucky. I bought quite a few at a discount closeout. I have enough to last a few more years...

I should really put a timer on the well-house nozzle. Too many times, I have let it run all night long because I got busy and forgot about it.

Right now, I'm still in 'catch-up' mode, and it is HOT and humid. It's supposed to be 60% chance of rain tomorrow with cooler weather to follow.

Wouldn't you know, I have school events Mon. thru Wed. !!

That's okay. Slowly, but surely, I'm making a little head way.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dazed_Lily
    [B]Hmmm....
    Sounds like an experiment is in order AND
    QUOTE]

A few years ago I had the same mental image that you express with my soakers, and was very disappointed. Also, keep in mind that soaker hoses do degrade over time, and the extra 'leaks' they develop will also increase the water output at the front, and reduce the flow at the end even further. I'm in the process of replacing all mine.

Experiment if you want to but someone said "You must learn from other peoples mistakes, you don't have time to make them all yourself"
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom makes a good point. The soaker hoses will not last as long as regular hoses. They will break and start falling apart after a few years or so.

Thanks, Tom for remindng me of that...

They do work very well when they are working, but you have to sort of think of them as being disposable and check them out every season to see if they are still in good working order.

The other thing that I have used are those little drip irrigation system, but they tend to also be work to maintain properly.

This past spring, my brother bought and installed an inexpensive mister type system for my Mom's small front bed (borders the house). The parts are rather inexpensive to replace and rather easy so he thinks Mom can do that when he is not around.

The advantages of misters is that the foliage is also misted and that helps to cool the plants down.

I know that it is hard when you are not home to move sprinklers and hoses. And GEE! You are having some mighty tough highs this summer...

Lots of options and obviously, some are more expensive than others and some are easier to maintain than others.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I just looked at your weather, Cathy!

And you are right.... You have to do something. Your faced with the next 10 days of high 90's and very little chance of rain.

Mmmmmmm...

Let us know what you decide.

Anyone else got some ideas for Cathy?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread