+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Server Hardware

New Server Hardware

My 'server' provider has found a serious problem with the 'root' of the system. The problem is not fixable, so they are replacing the hardware and moving our accounts to a new server.

I have not been notified as to exactly when this will happen, but it should possibly be within the next 24 hours.

This is a serious problem, and I am glad that they isolated it and are prepared to fix it ASAP. I don't like to give such short notice, but I don't wish to have Landspro compromised in any way either.

Hopefully, the site will not be down for very long.

My apologies, but these things appear to happen more than we like. I appreciate the excellent support that I get from my server provider.

Thanks for understanding.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

No problem in this corner of the world. I spent 45 years working with computers, and am well aware of the fact that niether hardware or software last forever. I agree, you/we are fortunate that your provider had detected, and is correcting the problem with a minimum of disruption.

When I sign on, and find the site down, I'll just wait. I love to read and make posts here, so a little upgrade now and again is not going to disturb most of us. At least this time someone else is doing all the work (we hope).
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Oh, my goodness! You do remember that horrible Labor Day weekend several years ago, don't you?

I'll have to find that thread. I spotted it not long ago and laughed and smiled and rolled on the floor when I read it. You did good with that post.

Gee! I have to find it...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I Found IT!

The key word was 'hero'. How could I ever forget that?

Anyway, for memory sake, September 2, 2002...

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...highlight=hero
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

It is hard to believe, but the Landspro Forums will soon be 5 years old. The main site is about 1 year older or maybe a little more. I'd have to look back.

Hard to believe that so much has happened between now and then, but is has...

The world is about changes and learning, and my goodness, I have been through a lot of changes and a TON of learning.

What would life be without that?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Landspro will be going down at around 3am. No word as to how long it will be down.

We will see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The preliminary transfer took longer than anticipated. They have decided to hold off on the final transition until Monday or Tuesday morning.

That is UNLESS they suspect that problems are recurring.

I'll let you know when I find out more concrete information.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I'm glad everything is back to normal. I couldn't post a reply the other night then I couldn't even get on Landspro. I was freaking out that my computer was really messed up. Then had to work dayshift and didn't try to get on for a day or two.
    Sure glad to be able to be back on.
    Thanks for all your hard work and attention. Hope you realize how much your site means to so many of us.
    tennessee sue

Thank you, Sue!

By now, you know me, and if lp is down, and I am not working at school (or sleeping), I am trying to get it back up again. I hate it, too when the forums are down because I have no way of telling you why and when it will be back up.

Speaking of down, lp will be down starting about 3AM Mountain time tomorrow (Tuesday morning) for a few hours for the final transition to the new hardware.

So, can someone tell me how Mountain time relates to the rest of us? Gee, I am just now figuring out what time it is in Germany, thanks to Hans. I don't know why, but I am always getting time differences confused.

Someone help, what is the time difference from your time, my time and mountain time.... I am on Central Daylight Savings time, I think.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes, AL is Central(CST). That means Eastern is one hour ahead of you and Mountain is 1 hour behind you and Pacific is 2 hours behind you:

7 AM CST= 8 AM EST= 6AM MST= 5 AM PST

Now, we can get into why some parts of Indiana(like South Bend) insist on not observing daylight savings time and are in fact living EST in a CST state; although, they are trying to change that.
    Found this on the net: you can see how parts of Indiana and Arizona do not observe daylight savings time. Love this graphic as you have to know the names of the states by heart !

http://www.time.gov/
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 07-24-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thanks, Cathy! That sure made it simple, didn't it?

The switch to the new server appears to be completed, and so far, everything looks GOOD!

I have a math department meeting, so I'll be back later!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I see we had some errors today. The error message say 'too many connections'.

If the errors occur again, I will submit a work tickect to my server provider.

My apologies and thanks again for your patience....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yesterday...

Landspro's new server had a disk failure. At first, they thought it would only take 30-45 minutes to fix, but the system went into a full disk check mode which took hours.

Once that was completed they had some problems with the control panels that we use to set up our accounts.

Finally, after being reassured that the Landspro files were fine, I went to bed. I sure was glad to see Landspro up again this morning.

Thanks for you patience.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread