+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Blessed Site!

A Blessed Site!

This morning, as I drove up to school, I was in awe at the number of trailers, busses, you name it in the back parking lot of the school and lining the side entrances. We were told that a group was coming to stay at the school while assisting Katrina victims in Grand Bay and Bayou La Batre, but WOW! I wasn't prepared for that many people and so much help.

I am told that the group is called 'World Changers'. The young people were lined up and headed for the parking lot as I was going into school. We are not talking about a small group. We are talking about what appeared to be several hundred young people along with staff and supervision.

What a welcome site! It warmed my heart inside and out.

The people in these areas have been told that they have to vacate their FEMA trailers or purchase them in the near weeks to come, so I have to tell you that despite all of bad stuff that is happening in this world today, there are still a lot of great people out there.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

WOW Ann, that is a blessed site to see, I'm sure.

What is the government thinking? Isn't it obvious that these people living in these trailers would gladly be back in their homes if it was at all possible. Government screws ya coming or going. They don't care!

One thing I've noticed when you see pics of the devastion that still needs to be cleaned up, is where is the heavy equiptment (loaders, backhoes, dump trucks etc.)?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki, Don't be too quick to blame the government - we elected those idiots who consider their own greed and pursuit of political power to be above the needs and best interests of the American people. I am a retired Federal civil servant of 34 years and it is the government workers who keep our government programs working despite the highly political and questionable decisions that are made by elected officials. Our balots are more powerful than the power of any elected position because if enough of us get mad enough and get out to vote, they are SOL. Blame us as voters, we elected them, we trusted them, and we're getting screwed. Like Dr. Phil says, How's that working for you. Politics is like a two edged sword, if one side doesn't cut it, we can try the other.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Vicki,

I don't think anyone realizes, even the government, just as vast this devastation was. And to add to that complication is all the paperwork and owner's rights. Each homeowner probably needs a full time lawyer to determine their rights.

Many did not have flood insurance, and if they didn't, they are in a battle with their insurance companies as to whether the surge damage (water) is covered by their insurance.

That being said, there are also many other complications. Some homes were condemned. Some were told that they had to rebuild on 'stilts'. Some lost their jobs. Etc., etc... It's a tough situation, but you have to feel good when you see young people willing to bake in the hot sun and humidity to try to help those who are caught 'in between'.

In this case, it requires everyone working together. Federal government, state government, county government, churches, individuals and even our public school system who is providing housing for these volunteer groups.

I say kudos to these young people. They are trying to help salvage what is left to be salvaged. I can tell you that where they are working right now, the people do not have the money for insurance. They have lived in the homes for many years, and their parents before them and before them.

Most of them are very proud people who believe that they earn what they receive, and now they feel helpless.

I could get on my soap box about the people who take when they don't really need, but this is not the time, place or subject.

These kids are doing a great service to the community, and they are reaping a reward that too many people will never receive. They are giving without asking anything in return. They are giving what they have and from their heart.

It's a good thing....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I certainly agree. The youth from our former church in Houston have made a mission trip for a week to help folks along the Coast and the reports I've heard from their on-line journal of their experiences and the magnitude of the situation absolutely agrees with your assessment. It is a wonderful thing to see our youth so involved in helping others to the extent they can. We adults can learn from them
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread