+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peruvian Daffodil

Peruvian Daffodil

This is the first flower to open this year. They are so unusual and pretty. I love the white, but some day, I will get a few that aren't white.

I hope to get a picture of the one with variegated foliage. Last year the bloomed was beat up from rain, so I missed it.

But for now, this is the more common one....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another View

closer...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And from

above....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The blooms seem to last several days.

This afternoon when I walked past it, I smelled the light fragrance of the Stargazer Lilium. I looked over to where they were and saw the beautiful blooms. Then, I decided to bend over and smell the beautiful white Peruvian Daffodil bloom. YUP! It has a mild fragrance and believe it are not, the fragrance is similar to the stargazer, but not nearly as strong.

I definitely need to purchase some more of these beauties and plant them in one of the low areas that floods at times. This is one of the bulbs that doesn't mind sitting in water for several hours.

Needless to say, I do like my bulbs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I found another pot of these that is filled with little babies, so maybe I don't need to buy anymore after all.

AND! I decided, just for the fun of it, to self pollinate and look at this:
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I'll be watching this one to see if the pod matures and how long it takes.

FUN!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I share your love for the Peruvian daffodil. Take a closer whiff of it. The fragrance is divine. There is a yellow flowering form as well. I have never heard of a variegated one (with var. foliage). I don't have any of these plants due to my move in Austin but perhaps should consider adding a few to my Austin garden.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

I noted the fragrance this year, and it is quite 'divine'.

You must have missed the mention of the variegated one. The foliage is spectacular. The bloom looks very similar to the Peruvian one.

I do have some babies of the Peruvian, but they are small. The variegated has multiplied and I have two one gallon pots of them. I don't know how hardy they are. I adore the foliage so much that I have protected them over the winter until they could multiply enough to let the larger ones have a try outside.

They don't take very much room, but they do like a lot of rain (water).

Here's a picture of the variegated one, very pretty foliage:
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I am a bit confused. Is the variegated plant you posted a picture of a variegated Peruvian Daffodil or a variegated "something else"? It looks similar to my Hymenocallis littoralis 'variegata' which produces a spider like bloom similar to the Peruvian Daffodil and is quite adaptive to aquatic conditions.
    Last edited by txbeyer; 07-23-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

This is a plant from the Botanical Gardens sale a couple of years ago. The tag said "Peruvian Daffodil" and then gave the botanical name. I'll have to find the original tag.

This one has LOTS of variegation and the variegation is creamy white. The bloom is white and looks similar to the one on your website.

The only other things that I know is that it went dormant on the porch and the temperature should have never gone below 40-45 degrees where I had it. The leaves are somewhat more narrow than the regular Peruvian Daffodil. I will have to measure, but just guessing, I would say that they are less than 1" wide.

Gosh! I hope I can put my fingers on those tags from that sale. It's been almost 2 years.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Dormancy I believe is a normal thiing for this plant, even in warmer climates. Hope you can find the light yellow blooming variety - it is a nice variation from the typically white bloom on Hymenocallis.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Yes, I have seen pictures of the yellow one, and it looks exceptionally nice. However, the white one is such a pure white, and like you said, so fragrant....

I missed the Spring Botanical Gardens Sale. I don't plan to miss the Fall one. That is where I have found the BEST plants and the best deals.

We have a really good group here, and I hope that in the next year or two, I will be settled down enough in teaching to get back to the Master Gardenng events. I miss that, but you have to do what you have to do!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob,

My apologies... This bulb did not come from the Botanical Gardens sale. It came from Home Depot. I found the original tag this morning. I believe it is the same as what you already have. The tag has the botancial name 'P Hymenocallis L Variegata'.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread