+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unearthly Hot & Humid

Holy, Moly!

Cathy and Bob, you are both baking in the heat with temps above 100!

We have started getting a few scattered thunderstorms, and our temps have dropped down more to the normal 90 or so. The humidity is tremendous, but the cloud cover helps a lot (when we have it).

At least there are many of those you know what kinds of storms in the forecast, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I think the entire country (with few exceptions) is in a heat wave with above normal temps this summer. Our forecast is for upper 98/99 all this coming week with no chance of rain. Water is very expensive in Austin and the city urges conservation so I water minimally - just to keep things alive. Our nearby Lake Travis is 27 feet below normal and that's no exaggeration. We just hope for an occasional cloud or breeze to moderate the temperatures but they are few and far between. So from Austin, I'm sharing everyone's pain
    Last edited by txbeyer; 07-30-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Yes, Ann ! I am starting to wonder if I should go back to my garden vision of 3 years ago which was Xeriscape ! I just look at my daylilies and shake my head. I can give them water and superthrive but beyond that they aren't in my hands. The ones that were moved from the other house and just recently planted, in some cases, are rising from the 'ashes' and putting up new growth. I wish the same could be said for the recently purchased/planted ones(from spring) as they have yet to send up any new growth from the dead leaves that remain. While somewhat delusional, I somethimes say to myself that they are just dormant.
    We are headed into yet another week of 100+ temps with some promise of rain in the latter half with temps close to 100.
    I'm headed out to do a garden walkabout/assessment and see who needs what. After that I'll retreat to the a/c'ed house for the remainder of the day!

UPDATE: I just returned from the walkabout followed by superthrive applications. I did see some of the newly purchased ones sending up new green growth; also, some of the moved ones coming up from the 'ashes'. I am 'missing' some near the pond; I will have to question the ducks....I'm just hoping that those dl's will pop back up from roots and that there wasn't any 'ducky-business' involved in their disappearance.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 07-30-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I don't know how you all stand temps in the 100's and humidity. We have been in the lower 90's and it is getting to me. It is humid here all summer. We finally got enough rain yesterday to do some good. Then it misted all day. It was so nice. And all the plants look very happy today.
    I hope we have a nice long fall so I can play catch up with all I didn't get done while it has been so hot this summer. Thank goodness I got a lot done before the temps started to rise.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Our forecast isn't a pleasent one, not for several more days! Humidity nearing 80% and temps in the mid 90's and enough "hot air" blowing around to make the "heat index" jump to 105 to 110 F.

I broke down Saturday and closed the windows and turned on the A/C, I just couldn't take the H/H anymore! Still running a couple of fans to keep this cooler air moving and circulating better.

Was actually nice at 8:30 this morning, but by 9, the humidity was getting to me and the temp had really jumped up there. Did some pollen dabbing, but am not to hopeful about the out come.

Even the kitties are staying inside, the ones that want to anyway. Old 'Baby' still insists on staying outside, so she must have a really cool place she holes up in.

Will be relieved when this heat wave is finished later in the week and hope we get a long enough repreive to be able to get ready for the next one!

I do not like this hot weather, but it is better than freezeing one's but off and us northeners know that those teps will be here all to soon and last a lot longer than our little heat waves!

Stay cool all y'all!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

You aren't going to believe this! We are back to our 'normal' summertime pattern of partly cloudy skies and chances of afternoon thunderstorms.

Plus additional periods of rain at night and in the morning. In fact, last night, right after taking pictures of the epi bloom, it rained about 1/2". Late this morning, it was pouring down rain with LOTS of lighning. We received about 2" of rain on that one.

Temps have 'cooled' down to 90-91 degree highs, but the humidity is in the 80-90% range.

Well, I won't complain at all. Now, all I have to do is start DIGGING! The ground is definitiely wet...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I Am Grateful!

Gee!

It seems strange to be 'less' hot here than you are!

I guess I didn't realize how much the clouds and rain cool us down in the summer, but I do appreciate it more now.

We received another inch of rain today. That still leaves us 20" below the average the this time of the year.

I won't complain, though. In fact, I am very grateful. The plants and yard are loving the moisture. Besides, if I complain, it might bring bad news which is going to enter the Gulf in the next few days.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Since early evening last night we've had wonderrful rain !!!! At least 4 inches in the dog dish--so maybe that's 3 inches. Yay !

Way to go, Cathy!!!!

4 inches will go a long way as long as you don't get it all within one hour, huh?

I believe the rain missed us today, but I could hear the thunder. When I looked at the doppler, it was a small storm about 5-8 miles from here.

Everything is beginning to look lush, thick and green again. Unfortunately, in the lawn, that means lots of weeds. Gee, what am I saying? In the potted plants are lots of green weeds also.

But I have to tell you that I would rather be weeding in 88-90 degree heat than hauling around 100's of feet of water hoses in 96 degree heat.

I still have two daylilies blooming. One is the the Pink Charm (I think) look alike. It has bloomed for months now. That one is going to take front stage in my gardens. I could use LOTS of these. Another one that is blooming is a small spidery red.

Lots of other things are in bloom, and because I worked so hard to get late summer and fall blooms, I am seeing more and more of those!

Happy Days are here again....

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It rained here overnight, early this morning and it's been raining again until just a few minutes ago! It felt so good this morning I turned off the A/C, opened windows and let the fresh air come on in! Course all the flies in the county took it as an invitation for them to come it too and they've been buggin the heck out of me!

Harvested my second pod today and the nieghbors' dog harvested one as well. Of course it wasn't quite ready so I have it's almost stem in a water-filled sponge hoping it will finish and not rot. Fortunately I made two of the same cross and the second pod is still safe from the maurading mutt. She's been walking through the back bed a lot lately, but I actully caught her today and scolded her soundly. I can always tell when she's benn in there as she knocks things over, she's so fat she can hardly pick her feet up.

Back to working on the pirce list!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    What an image you describe of that pudgey pod picker.
    At least you can blame the dog. I totally missed a good pod and it opened. Last night I was out there on my hands and knees combing through the grass and mulch. Found 1 that looked like something had started to eat it--and put it in the pot. Found 2 other 'good' ones and that was it. It was Yabba Dabba Do x Her Majesty(a way cool cascading curl queen from years ago-it's a Nesmith--the photos on the internet are awful-I'll post my own some day).
    Thunder has been rumbling and I've been grumbling (a la Clara Peller): "Where's the Rain ?!"

Still no rain in Austin in six weeks and daily highs this past week of over 100 degrees every day. We are roasting, toasting, and descicating all at once. Only the lower humidity makes it bearable - that and air conditioning to hibernate in. I swear Austin must be a "plant toughness" proving ground. If it can survive here, it can grow anywhere. In Houston, I had to worry about getting plants thru winter, here it's worrying about getting them through both summer and winter. I'm getting adjusted to the climate though and learning how to adjust my gardening to accomodate it. I'm just really surprised how hot it has been north of us in the midwest!
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    It is mind boggling. 6 weeks w/o rain ?! If we lose our electricity we'll be in trouble, I too have been a summer hibernator.

For what it is worth, here is a little humor borrowed from 'another' message board. In answer to the question, "how hot is it ?" there was this reply:
    It's so hot that I picked stewed tomatoes off the tomato plants, dug baked potatoes from the ground and had to watch out for popping corn flying off the corn stalks !".
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 08-13-2006 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to use the "r" word Bob but Boy oh boy did we get a nice gentle rain ! Started last evening and off and on throughout the day. I will try to convince the clouds to float to Austin !

Mmmmm.... It hasn't rained here for the last few days. The first day back for the students is tomorrow, so I have been over my head trying to get my room ready, materials ready and go to all the teacher work day meetings.

All is looking good, despite the fact that I still have more to do... Irregardless, the first thing I will do when I get home tomorrow is to turn on my sprinklers. The hibiscus are starting to wilt, but everything else looks good.

Canna's are finally growing and blooming like crazy. All September blooming plants that I have posted before are blooming as well as a few others.

The black elephant ear seems to like where it is sitting, so it will go in the ground right where the pot is.

Brugs are starting to bud and bloom like crazy, so I suppose that means the nights are getting cooler. I haven't had time to really check on that.

I have GOT to start working in the flower beds. Weeds are absolutely taking over.

Sure hope everyone gets some rain soon!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast