+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unearthly Hot & Humid

Blog Entries

Unearthly Hot & Humid

Need I say more(add mega humidity to those temps):
    http://www.ksn.com/weather/forecastw.html

Yes, of course I must say more: All I manged to do tonight was harvest pollen and make crosses.
    Used a gingerbread man cookie sheet to place stamens as I harvested (2 cultivars per gingerbread man--head and feet).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    The hot and humid will be here for the weekend, in the meantime, nature is making sure the humidity will be high by dumping tons of rain on us. All day yesterday and more today. I barely got EMO pictures before the rain cam this morning and dashed any hopes of getting pictures of the late openers or second images of the SPUF's after they had warmed up and taken on their true form. Also dashed any thoughts I might have had of doing any dabbing and it will be too hot this weekend! Grrr!!!

I've had a few (very few) FFO's the last two days and haven't been able to get good images for my records, fortunately they will all bloom more so I will eventually geet pictures, just not FFO pictures. Drat and double drat!

Oh well, it is SUMMER, and whit that come the heat, humidity and haze, woopie.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Talk about HOT!

Noting the posts from folks in Indiana and Kansas about the heat and humidity, you need to give Austin a try. Today and throughout this week, we are forecasted for highs above 100.
    If the humidity is low (like it is now at 30%) it is a bit more tolerable, but that puts a lot of stress on most plants, not to speak of gardeners! On top of that, we are still in drought conditions, even after some nice rains earlier this month. It's hibernation season - work outside until 10 AM or after 6 PM and lock youself in the house the rest of the day.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

A double post! Wow! I never have figured out how to make that happen.

Bob, the humdity here rarely goes below 57% despite the drought. A lot like Houston, I am sure.

If you are online now, you can call up www.weather.com and enter zip code 36695 . Scroll down to the map and you can see some rain headed my way. Hopefully, this time it will not split up and go around us.

I've only had a trace of rain since early in May. Actually, I forget how long because it has been that long. It rained a mile from me, all around me, but not here. I'm finally getting the grass to be green in some areas of the lawn, but the vast majority of the grass is GONE.

What's neat about the Kansas weather is the temperature swings. Cathy does get a lot hotter than I do. So does Tom and he is 100 miles are so north of me.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Can you take away one of the duplicate posts? I have no idea what I did to cause that.

I know everyone in the central U. S. and west has been hotter than normal and lacking sufficient rain (except New England), but it surely creates a gardening dormant season - just too hot to do anything and planting new stuff and transplanting is out of the question. Tropicals are enjoying it though - Brugs blooming along with many other flowering tropicals. I surely hope that rain hits you smack on - and gives you a good soaking. That would really make a difference.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

The extra post is gone.

It is now very dark, and the wind is blowing very hard. I suspect we will lose some branches with this storm.

Here's the live doppler, but you will have to look quick. The storm is moving vry fast. There are warnings all around me. Marine and tornado warnings...

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...obile&state=al
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well...

It split and went around us. We got a trace of rain, and it is still sprinkling. I won't complain, a trace is better than nothing and the temperatures cooled significantly.

It's sort of neat to watch the clouds when there is an upper level disturbance. One layer of clouds is moving north, while another is moving south and still another is staying still.

We lost power for about an hour. That seems to be happening a lot lately, so something is wrong at the station, I suppose.

Still, I don't mind losing power when it is not so terribly hot outside. Take away my lights, but don't take away my a/c and water!

Tomorrow is another day and another 40% chance. Hunter and I are working at school tomorrow, so we won't be able to water until we get home. The 1/8th inch of rain will help a little in that department.

Bummer!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Braved the heat this morning and planted gladiola corms. Also, noticed some signs of crown rot on at least 1 maybe 2 daylilies in the vicinity. The sign of crown rot on the third daylily was that it was dead ! Surely, the rain, heat, drought, high heat cycle has had a hand in that ! Since I don't have Banrot I just sprinkled sulfur dust(probably ineffective but made me feel like I was doing something). I am headed back out to plant more corms and water some annuals. I guess it was 104 here; we have a heat advisory--sounds alot like Austin.

PS I just checked. Oh, goody ! 106 on Wednesday !
    http://www.ksn.com/weather/forecastw.html
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 07-16-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Gee, and I have been complaining because we are in the lower 90's all week. (That is pretty hot for us.)
    It has been very humid and we finally got a little storm the other night. Still had to water the plants in the sunniest location this morning.
    Like Bob I go outside when I come in from work in the mornings and work til about lunch then back out in the evenings if I don't have to go back to work at 7pm. I very wisely set up my potting area in the most shady part of the yard.
    I hope we all get a good soaking rain soon.
    tennessee sue

I think I should move all my plants to the school.

There was a really bad storm there this afternoon at dismissal time.

The school is 8 miles from my home.

Not a drop here...

It was awfully nice getting the cloud cover yesterday afternoon and the 1/8th inch of rain. The temps dropped down to the 70's, but you can't go outside and work when there is any lightening around.

A little boy, age 11 was hit and killed by lightening in the county next to us. Nice and sunny, but clouds nearby. I heard that he was holding a water hose. He was killed.

To me that is 'horrors', but it happens, so everyone please be SAFE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Austin set a record going back to 1923 yesterday - 107 degrees!
    With humidity around 50%, if felt like we were baking in a convection oven. They say highs will cool down to 95 by the end of this week. Relief is a relative term.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

WOW!

Our record high EVER was 105 degrees and that was in August -- don't know the year...

Our record high for July is 104 degrees.

Yep! Sounds like you were in an oven especially with the humidity that high.

Our temps are running around 92 for the next few days. I see some really reasonable highs of 84-87 better part of next week. I haven't had a chance to really look at the weather system to see why the drops in temperature.

Right now, it is 90 and it 'feels like' 97 according to weather.com.

Did you get a 'feel like' temperature for the 107 degrees at 50% humidity? It had to be awful.

Cathy, how is the heat in Kansas?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I looked at Cathy's weather, and her high in Wichita was 108 degrees. Her record high for this time of the year is 113.

Gee, when I left school today, I had to use a few paper tissues to cover the steering wheel because it was too hot to touch. Then, when I touched the gear stick, I had to do the same. The process was repeated when I touched the blinker 'stick'.

I can't imagine 107 or 108! You'd have to wear leather gloves until the a/c cooled down everything that you have to touch!

Cathy has been quiet lately. I worry that maybe she went into 'heat dormancy' like some of my daylilies did...

Cathy, it does sound a lot like Austin, doesn't it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is mind boggling to see temps predicted of 109 + here and it is only July. The good news is that I am able to be indoors. I have been out of the Landspro lopp or just about any other loop due to a week long intensive project at work. We are completely redoing a production line to decrease the cycle time to make a unit from start to finish. We start at 7 AM and so far have worked until 8 PM Monday night, midnight on Tuesday, 10 PM last night, who knows tonight. It is over by 10:30 AM tomorrow with a presentation to uprre mgt. and then we get the rest of Friday off. I will be crashing ! My poor dayliulies; I don't even want to know what's going on with them !
    I'll be back soon !

Thanks for letting us know the scoop, Cathy. I bet you will crash after all of that. Get some good rest! I can hear your daylilies calling you from here. LAS!

The power went off for just a little bit at school today, but there was no rain (except for a few heavy drops) at school. When I got home, the street was half wet. We apparently received a trace of rain, so the sprinkler has been moved once again and is running.

No school tomorrow, so I hope to sow some more daylily seeds and get some more to soak. Our temps are SUPPOSED to go down to the upper 80's. If it does, I will get some weeding and repotting done. I hope, I hope!

BTW, I have a LOT of gladiola bulbs to get in the ground. They may have to be planted really shallow just so that they do not go bad on me. It appears to me that when I plant them too shallow, they produce more 'baby' offsets, so I will have to give them plenty of room.

I adore gladiola. Years ago, I would plant a dozen at a time each week. That gave me prolonged blooms, and I could use them for flower arrangements. I think I may do that again, so I can take flowers to school for the office workers. They do get a kick out of being given flowers and all of the school visitors get to enjoy them as well!

I also have some caladiums to plant. Just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Those are also planted rather shallow, so I need to get busy, heat or no heat.

Good luck on the presentation!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast