+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurdles

Hurdles

If it is not one hurdle, it is another.

I am having computer woes, but not to fear, I am working on it.

Only had a minute to let you know. I am running in safe mode.

Later!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay, here is the story. I tell it so that others can learn from my mistake.

I was reading my email and received a ecard from a reputable site. I clicked on the link and as he ecard was loading, so was Norton anti-virus saying that I had a virus and there was no fix on my system.

It took over and multiplied and other type viruses made their way into the opened door.

Last night was a long night with only two hours sleep. I still have a little more cleanup and catch the Trojans to do, but at least I can read my email and get online in between scans and search/deletes.

This is the first time that I have been hit. I am usually so very cautios, but I let my gaurd down and WHOMP!!!! What a pain this has been.

I'm going to bed in a bit and will leave the system running yet another scan (internet disconnected).

I owe some answers to emails and pm's, so please be patient with me.

WOW! Have I learned a lot on this major trip!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

I'm still running in safe mode right now which really isn't that bed once you get used to it...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Isn't everything really really BIG in Safe Mode ??????? LOL!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

ROFL!

Yep! It reminds me of the 'old' days which if you think about it really wasn't that long ago.

Or was it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

I can LAF now because it wasn't until a few hours ago that I could get my email to run.

My files, my lesson plans, all the work stored on this thing are fine. Needless to say, I have been doing a lot of new backup's just in case.

They should put those monsters in a locked jail and never let them look at a computer, tv or have any access to electronic devices.

Since all my controls have changed, I visited a few sites and was shocked. I received a nasty warning when visiting Tinkers saying that I needed to purchase their protection.

Gardenweb! WoW! No wonder so many people have been complaining. Video ads that take the whole screen until you figure out (at least I think I did) that you have to click to get out of the video and see the forum.

Davesgarden has google messages on the left side of the screen.

I quit looking around after all of that.

Yeah, safe mode is a whole different world out there.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, it has been 3 solid days of trying to isolate the problems with my computer. AND I do believe that everything is now back in order.

I am tired, so I won't explain now, but I learned some things and will share them at a later date. Things that had I known before would have made recovery faster.

No lost files, no corruption that I have found so far, so all looks fine for the moment.

I have missed things being normal, but when are they ever normal around here?

I did manage to get outside some while scans were running. I will make a few posts and then it SLEEP time!

Thanks for you patience.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Zowey!

Now, I'm really tired!

Worked at school yesterday and today, then came home to 'attempt' to figure out my last remaining computer problem, a biggie! The windows printer spooler problem was gone, deleted or whatever, just gone and I couldn't re-install the printer services.

I finally found something on the net. I tried it. It didn't work. Then I did some poking around and found the file that was missing in an update that I had downloaded and run. The file wasn't where it was supposed to be... Your not supposed to do that!

I copied the file to its missing location, held my breath, shut my eyes tightly and rebooting. When I opened my eyes, the system was slowly booting. It took FOREVER, but it didn't crash. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Then I plugged in the printer and tried to reinstall it. It took forever, but it is working now and I will sleep better tonight.

Whew! I do believe I found the last problem. BTW, the missing file was one that was listed as vulnerable to the specific virus. That's why there was an update.

Oh, and when I get a chance, I do need to tell you about some things that Windows does that speeds up your system for awhile, but eventually will slow it down and take LOTS of disk space. You can't see the files. They are hidden, but there is a way in Windows XP to delete them rather easily.

More later... I need to cruise the threads and see what all I have been missing.

I have truly missed everyone. Thanks for your patience!

Cheers!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread