+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireworks

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Fireworks

I don't know about anyone else but fireworks are as legal as drinking water here in Kansas. We have fireworks stands on almost every corner--many groups run them for fund raising.
    Anyway, let me just say here and now that I think fireworks should be illegal !
    As I type, it sounds as if my neighborhood is under seige. It's not about pretty sparkles in the sky anymore. Now it's all about how much noise can you make. They have percussion fireworks that sound as if something is hitting my glass window--it's that intense ! Those darn screaming meemies(I'm not sure what they are called but they make a piercing screaming sound) drive me up a wall. Then we get these serial lighters who has to attempt to break the Guiness book of records for longest succession of noisy fireworks going off.
    Things have definitely changed and I equate it to things changing in our society as well. People aren't setting off fireworks to entertain children and neighbors with pretty light displays like it used to be. Now it's all about outdoing your neighbors with the biggest baddest loudest noise makers that money can buy. And, yes, these things ain't cheap. My dog is cowering in the bathroom downstairs for the third night in a row. I sat out on the swing to enjoy the scent ofmy lilies but instead was met with the sounds of a battle field and I couldn't smell the lilies through the residue smell from the lit fireworks. It's nice to have had a 4 day weekend but it would have been so much better without the seige !
    Hubby just said he sees nice fireworks over the pond, and he's going outside. I think he'll find out differently;excuse me while I go drag him off the battle field!
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 07-04-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

As I was reading this, I recalled the afternoon. Hunter had purchased 4 little 'things' that he proudly announced were flowers for me. He lit the first one before dark and saved the other three until after the sun set. He was so disappointed. The other three were duds and didn't go off. The first was pretty cool, and I hugged him for that.

They had a few others. One swung open to create some sort of oriental multi-story building (paper, of course). Hunter thought that was cool and decided to save it (like we need to save more).

Then I read on, listening to the fireworks, checked on the kids in Hunter's room, and Hunter said, "Mama, we're not going to get much sleep tonight."

For a treat, I gave them each a small bowl of cool whip. Two minutes later, they arrived at my desk saying, "Cool, Mama! Look at us!" Their faces had a thin layer of cool whip and other than the cool whip, I could see great big smiles. I laughed and said, "To the bathroom, kids! Get that stuff off your face. They giggled and ran to the rest room.

Five minutes later, they were out here with their bowls saying, "We're full now!"

They are back in the bedroom now. The lights are out, but I hear them laughing and talking.... A 12 year old and a 6 year old who would rather see the fascinating light and color display and would rather not hear the noise!

Fireworks are banned in the city, but I live in the county. Let's hope there are no fires tonight...

The sounds of the fireworks are getting further and further apart in time. The boys are starting to get quiet, but I still hear some talking.

They had a good day without all the noise stuff!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, I went outside and people were actually shooting off some pretty displays. However, I could do without the associated noise.
    I have to admit I saw the prettiest fireworks since I was a kid.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread