+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Underground Bees

Blog Entries
    Yipes ! Look at this yellow jacket nest:
    http://www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5138212&nav=0qq6
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

There are a few of them in the yellow buckets, but not nearly as many as I would have expected.

As long as I know where the nest is, I won't accidently disturb it. I really don't want to use a pesticide because of the location of the nest and the wind.

Oh, well... I will try to find a small yellow bowl that I can put closer to the nest, but not be visible to children who may want to come take a look at what is inside. This nest is in my front bed, and there are small children who come to visit Hunter at times. They won't walk in the bed, but they might be attracted by a yellow bowl which has never been there before.

There is an above ground nest. It is hidden underneath some branches. I'm not quite as afraid of them when I can locate the nest. It's those underground ones that appear from holes that are under the blades of grass that scare me the most. Those are the ones that hurt me so bad. Of course, being stung on the tip of the finger is one of the most painful places to be stung.

I'm still working on it!

BTW, yellow jackets are probably more common than flies around here. They love the heat and high humidity, I suppose...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Local Yellow Jacket News

Obviously, I am not the only one dealing with this problem. Mine doesn't seem near as bad as what some are experiencing.

Be sure to click on the video if you can....

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellit...=1149189307389

The gentleman with the beard (from the County Extension Service) was my Master Gardener instructor.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2