+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mandevillas

Mandevillas

I have 4 different mandevillas .... a pink that blooms more than anything in my garden .... a yellow that grows like crazy but has few blooms .... a white that blooms a little and grows very little and a bright pink that looks like it is dying.

Do these require any special treatment? Any suggestions on getting the yellow and white to bloom? And .... what types of problems can cause one to look very ...very sick.

All are in the same area and all receive the same amounts of water and fertilizer.

Thanks,

Jim

Questions

Jim,

Do you have your mandevilla in the ground or in pots?

Have you checked under the leaves for any types of pests or fungus?

I only have the pink ones. I bought them at Kmart because my one in the ground froze out, and shame on me, I didn't get a cutting for the next year. I got them really cheap because they were almost dead. I pruned them back, propagated the cuttings that looked decent, and they are blooming very well now..

I do not have any of the others. If they are in pots, you might check to make sure that they are not root bound or have any other root problems and do not have any pests like slugs eating on the roots.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

mandevillas

All are in large pots/containers/tubs.

Haven't found any "critters" yet but will take another look. I just haven't figured out why the "yellow" is green and climbing like "jack's beanstalk" but doesn't bloom very much.

The leaves are different on each one so I would think they have different needs (does that even make sense?) but what they are is beyond me.

We fell in love with them and will be taking cuttings to make sure we have at least this many in the spring.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim

It Makes Sense to ME

Yes, Jim!

That does make sense. Do you by chance have the botanical names for these?

I believe that the pink one is the easiest to grow, and has fewer problems. It seems that I read that someone, but don't remember where, because I read everything I can get my hands on.

Everyone must be off for the holidays. Perhaps someone out there will know the answer when they get back. In the meantime, I would spray them really well with an insecticidal soap. Avoid the poisonous ones since you have a little one running around.

Check the roots, if you can and make sure they are not too wet. If they are in a container that holds water in a pan on the bottom. Remove the pan, run clean water through the potted plants to flush them. Let them drain really well. Thoroughly clean the pan with chlorox and hot (not boiling) water to disinfect, but do not get chlorox on your plants.

What type of fertilizer are you using?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is What I Found!

Jim,

This is the best that I could find, so far...

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1109.htm

But I will keep looking!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread