+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garden Critter ID

Blog Entries
    Looks like Hunter has a Dragon Fly; how in the world did he catch it. They are so fast.

If we have love bugs, they aren't in any great numbers. I did an internet search and see that they are a nuisance splattering on windshields in large numbers and that they can damage the paint on a car.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann, Were you ever able to get seed from that butterfly weed.? I would love to hve some. I have the orange growing wild and white (thanks to Cathy) and the pink that I will send you. Would like to add another weed to my collection.
    tennessee sue

Cathy,

When you sneak up on the snapdragons, they can be caught quite easily. But they have to be resting on a leaf or something.

What they say about the love bugs is true down here. They can be and are quite a nuisance at times because they get so thick. They get so thick that you have to be careful breathing in, YUK!

Sue,

I have some red butterfly weed seeds. How many would you like to have?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Heart is POUNDING!!!

I suppose you could call it a garden critter, but I thought it was a toy.

You have to know Hunter. He decorates everything with his toys. I was in the master bathroom and saw a gray toy snake, or at least at first, I thought it was a toy. I smiled, thinking "Hunter is up to it again!"

Then I realized that it looked to real and I touched the towel it was on. It fell to the floor! It was REAL! I say WAS because I don't care if it is poisonous or not. In the 25 years that I have lived in the house, I have never had a snake in it.

So where were the cats? Simba? Buddy?" Sniper (Baby)? Go figure! I wouldn't expected Taco, the chihuahua to catch the critter, but...

Horrors! I will have nightmares tonight!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    EWWWWWW !!!!
    Did Taco get it ?
    That would oog me out BIG TIME ! And I would be be wearing shoes or slippers and shaking out all the towels and bedspreads before using.
    I am that way with the Brown Recluses and we have more than I care to have. If I see them, I'll kill them. The last one I killed was on the ceiling in the wee hours of the morning when hubby turned on the bedroom light for some reason. I use the end of the wring mop to nail the spiders when they are on ceilings or high up on walls. I hate them. And I also shake out anything that has been folded up in a corner cause they like to hide in dark places.
    Back to snakes. Mom, in Florida, has had them twice come up into the toilet and shower drain.

Taco never noticed. None of them even noticed the critter.

I can't imagine how he got in here. Actually, I think it was brought inside with a bag of dirty clothes from Dauphin Island, but no one will admit to that!

Let's hope that is the case because I simply cannot imagine the critter getting inside any other way without the cats or Taco noticing it.

I still get the shivers thinking about it. Arggggg!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

How on earth would the snakes get in her shower drain or toilet???
    Are they living in the sewers??? Weird.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I once heard the story about baby alligators (bought as pets) were flushed into the sewer system. I think it was New York, but I don't remember exactly. They lived and thrived.

We have some mighty big gators in our delta and rivers, so that thought really brings horrors.

Fortunately, I was too tired to know whether I had nightmares last night.

I am thankful to be on a septic system. I rather doubt they would survive for long in there.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hummingbird Moth

I spent a whole weekend chasing around after the hummingbird moths who were dining on my Beebalm. Here is the best photo that I got. They are sooo fast.
    Attached Images  

Fantastic photo Deb. They are beautiful aren't they? The hummers really like the bee balm too. Thanks for being so persistant to get that photo.
    tennessee sue

Aren't they FUN!

Thanks to Tom for telling me about these cute little hummingbird moths!

I know that I saw them before, but this year, I seem to have more different varieties than I have ever seen. And it is fascinating to watch them hovering and feeding on the flowers.

Now that I know what flowers that they like, I should really plant more of them, huh?

Great Picture!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    How neat ! I was lucky enough to see an actual hummingbird about a week ago. They are really neat. It was green but went away when two sparrows decided to check out the hummingbird feeder--that was funny to watch !

Blog Entries

Sphinx Moth

I ran across this great photo of a Sphinx moth on Buggycrazy's (Lisa Hunt)website. It's easy to see why they get confused with Hummingbird's. Although, Sphinx moths, unlike Hummers, seem most active at dusk.
    Attached Images  

Aren't they beautiful? I have tried and tried to get more pictures, but they are so busy, busy, busy, that it is hard to catch them!

Thanks for sharing?

Can you give us a link to Lisa's website?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    This is the link to Lisa's website. She is the queen of lily bulbs ! She hybridizes them too;check out the lily seeds.
    http://buggycrazy.vstore.ca/

Isn't this one gorgeous: Glorisoides...
    http://buggycrazy.vstore.ca/product_...soides-x-album

I just placed an order and am getting:
    INTERDIVISIONAL WHITE/ORANGE CENTER
    TROPICAL ISLE OP
    EL FLAME, OP
    MINT FUDGE X GOLD MEDAL SEEDLING X MIXED 4n
    LADY ANNE X EMERALD ANGEL
    AFRICAN QUEEN OPEN POLLINATED
    GLORIOSOIDES X ALBUM