+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to brugs and datura

Question new to brugs and datura

Hello All!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope everyone is doin' well today. I live up in Washington, west side, originally from the south, Texas, and am new to Brugs and Datura. If I notice any critters on these lovely plants I was wondering if spraying with neem or insecticidal soap is ok? Temps here are 50 at night, about 65 in the day, some sun now, not alot ok, just some, I have watered them well and have them in big pots, anything else I should do to them. The Datura ballerina purlple is just fixin to bloom. The variegated peaches and cream brugs and small, maybe 5 inches tall so far. Thanks for any help with these beauties.

Welcome to Landspro!!!

I have used insecticidal soap many times.

The only caution that I would have when growing in pots is to check them once in awhile to make sure they are not rooting through the holes and into the ground. They can do that in a matter of a couple of months.

Peaches and Cream appears to be a slow grower compared to some of the others, and you are going to love the Purple one!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Talking First Datura bloom Ever!!!!!

Hi Ann, thank you so much for replying to my message and helping me out with the new plants. They are in pots on my deck so I can check easily for the roots coming thru the pots holes. The weather here is just now starting to get nice but still cool at night. The nurseries up here are just now getting them in. The purple one has one bloom opening, I am so very happy and it smells delicious.

The purple one will make a seed pod. If you let the pod grow, you will not get as many blooms, but you will have seeds for years to come.

The pods tend to take a long time to ripen, so if you want to try to harvest some, you might want to think about that now. They ripen better in full sun.

Unfortunately, the Daturas will not come back from the roots if allowed to go dormant. I have managed to overwinter some, but they do not bloom as well the second year as they do the first.

I have tried cuttings, and they do okay, but the easiest method is to simply start them from seed.

Enjoy!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I thought maybe I could put them in my greenhouse and the Datura might make it, the first bloom lasted 3 or 4 days, not sure if that is normal, it was just beautiful. The plant wasn't used to full sun, we went from cloudy and 60 deg. to full sun and 90 deg in a matter of 2 days, it has morning sun and afternoon shade now. I am going to let one or two of the flowers make seed pods so I will have some seeds tho. The new little brugs are doing good so far but they are small, can't wait for them to get big and put flowers on.

soap

You can use insecticide soap or dish soap -[ no detergent ] You can add 1/2 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol to mixture of soap in 1 gallon of water . Spray in evening unless plants are not in direct sun . They will burn .
    Keep away from kids - All parts are hallucinogenic , poison and act as a laxative . Wash hand well , wear rubber gloves if you have open cuts on hands .

+ Reply to Thread