+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does one post a photo?

How does one post a photo?

I am appalling computer illiterate. I have had my Sony digital for 7 months and last month figured out how to load pictures on to my computer or onto my Yahoo album site.

How does one post a photo to this site? I have a picture now and then to share and can only direct people to the albums, and i do enjoy seeing the photos in these messages here.

Could someone give me directions??
    Thanks, Linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- I am just short of ‘better than nothing’. So here goes:
    Hopefully (isn’t that a good word to start directions with-LOL!), Hopefully, you have your photo saved on your hard drive or a diskette or memory stick. Eventually , the file has to be saved as a .jpeg extension file in order to upload to Landspro. Let me walk you through what I do: 1) my photos start off collecting on the memory card (that goes into the camera). 2) I remove the memory card and insert it into a smart card reader which attached to the USB port on my pc. 2) I open the ‘drive’ for the smart card reader and there is a list of files with number names(they all have jpeg extensions) 3) I double click on the files to preview them and jot down the numbers of the ones I want to upload to Landspro 4) Next, I want to copy those selected files to(in my case—a diskette—maybe you choose hard drive) 4a) I hold down the control key and click on each file I want to copy and then choose Edit>Copy. 5) Then I go to my A drive (the diskette), click on that to open it and do an Edit>Paste. 6) I then open the Paint program (or Photoshop) –in Paint choose the dotted rectangle; in Photoshop the square crop icon—to crop the photo. In Paint, you can use Image (?)> Stretch/something to resize the image from giant to sensible; Photoshop can do this as well. I can give you more directions if you use Paint (in Paint, at this point, I’ll do a copy File>New and paste; pull in the extra white background by the blue dots, and save as a jpeg with a new name 7) In Landspro, start your message, when you are ready for the photo scroll down to attach file and choose Browse, find your file and click on it and choose Open. Then DO NOT PREVIEW!; instead choose Submit. Let me know where the wheels fall off for you in these directions and I’ll try to help.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 06-19-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thanks, Cathy
    I will bring in my camera and give this a try tomorrow.
    Linda
    Linda

Am giving this up. I have spent the better part of the day trying to copy and paste, don't know where they land, if they land?? Cannot find anything I copy and paste, cannot reduce the size. Am hopeless......
    Linda

You should NOT have to copy/paste in order to place a picture in your post. Unless of course you are trying to edit/size the photo before posting. Or perhaps trying to change the file extension to something like .jpg.

When you are finished with the text in a post, simply click on "Browse..." at the very bottom of the window, next to attach file: The browse button will take you to a Windows Explorer style window, and you can select the media "Drives A,C,D or your memory stick". Find the file you want to post (.jpg) and simply double click on it (or single click and open). That will place the full directory name of the file into the block. Click on Submit, and it's there.

Butterfly bush:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tom; 06-21-2006 at 03:04 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Desert Willow

I'll try posting this as a learning exercise. It's a recent close up picture I took of our Desert Willow, Chilopsis linearis - showing the intricacy of it's 2 x 1 inch bloom - a great native plant in Central Texas. This was one of the new plants I discovered after moving to Austin in January. This plant is very environmentally specific in its growing requirements - needs dry, well drained, sunny conditions and grows in poor soils like our caliche limestone soil.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by txbeyer; 07-03-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Welcome back, Bob!

Are you settled in Austin, yet? It looks like Houston is getting tons of rain. There has been a high pressure system over us, so we are feeling like the desert right about now.

BTW, I resized your photo. This older version of software doesn't do that for you. I don't know whether the current version will, but it would be nice, wouldn't it?

Good to see you back!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob, Welcome to landspro. That is a great picture and a beautiful flower. Some of the smaller blooms are really prettier that big showy ones when you see them close up. (See the post on Queen Anns Lace for a great example).
    I am having problems sizing some of my pictures but not others. I guess I am dense.
    Ann, could you go over to the Sweet Revenge post and work your magic on my second post? It is a good picture with more accurate color but you can't tell because it is so big. I opened that file and changed the size just like I did on the first picture. So I am in a quandry as to what happened. I am going to get my poor nephew to show me again how to use this program better.
    Thanks.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

Look again!!! It has already been resized....

I LOVE that one!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, MIke Burnett has taken down the Gulf Breeze forum about a month ago and it still isn't back on line. I don't think he has the time or interest in keeping it going and the participation in it has been dismal since he changed software, so I'm back to Landspro as I do enjoy a good gardening forum. I am amazed at how you have expanded the topics!!

Yes, we have been resettled completely in Austin for I'd say 4 months now and love it here. The gardening challenges are very different from Houston and I get to enjoy a new repetoire of plants to grow and learn about. I had a new greenhouse built 2 months after we moved and my yard is about 1/4th the size of our Houston yard, so I have scaled back on my plants in terms of numbers and varieties. I am still maintaining my web site but renamed it Gulf Coast and Central Texas Gardening.[URL=http://www.houstongardening.info[/URL] I still keep an up to date listing of the plants I am growing on the site. My shift has been from less large tropical plants to more xeriphytic plants.

Sorry about the large picture. I did think your software resized it automatically. Can you give me some guidelines on what I need to do in the future as I enjoy posting pics.

BTW, the Lighning Strike Toad Lilies are thriving - now have three small clumps of it and they are growing very well.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Well, it is good to see you are back!

You have to resize the photos before you post them because they will stay the same size as created by your camera or photo software.

Yes, I noticed that Mike's forum has been down. I check every once in awhile, but nada...

I am in the process of figuring out how to upgrade this one. Unfortunately, it has been so long that it is going to take several steps. This is further complicated by the crash that occurred when my prior providor set an erroneous limit on my database and all came tumbling down.

Anyway, I have learned a lot since then, so I will be taking it a step at a time and doing LOTS of backups first.

The goal is for the search engines to be able to see the threads so that more members will be active.

I HOPE!!!!

Good to have you back. And BTW, the variegated ROS and variegated Turks Caps are doing quite well, but send me some of the rain, okay?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread