+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnificent photos of Queen Anne's Lace

Magnificent photos of Queen Anne's Lace

You simply must go to this website

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...ildcarrot.html

The photos are absolutelyl beautiful. Mother Nature and this photographer are such artists!!

Enjoy!!
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

Those are awesome photos!

What is the story behind the single dark bloom in the center? Does it serve a purpose?

Interesting!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Linda, Thanks for giving us this site. I love Queen Anne's Lace. And the pics were amazing.
    Ann, Queen Anne supposedly asked her maids to fashion her some lace as fine as this flower. She also participated and won the contest.(She always wore lace on her clothes.) The red flower in the center supposedly is from her blood when she pricked her finger.
    THe seed are edible and used mudh the same as celery seed. But make sure it is this plant and not its cousin poison water hemlock which has no red center.
    You can cut the flowers and put the stems in vegetable dye. In a few hours the plants will carry the dye to the flowers to make them different colors. To dry them stand upright, do not hang upside down or the flowers will close making what is called the birds nest. They dry beautifully.
    The birds nest will sometimes fall off and be blown by the wind. This is nature's way of transporting the seeds to start new colonies. Ain't Mother Nature a smart old gal?
    Like I said it is one of my favorite wildflowers and I think I will go pick some to arrange with my daughters rose bouguet she received yesterday. (She fell and broke her ankle in 3 places.)
    Thanks again Linda. I want to check out that site more later and see what else is there.
    tennessee sue

I sent an email to the photographer and he sent me this kind reply.

Hi Linda,

You have made my day! Thanks very much for your very kind comments about my Queen Anne's Lace article. Feedback like yours keeps me writing wildflower articles for Micscape. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

Thanks again, and best wishes

Brian

I have read that the little black flower in the center might be the flower's way of attracting other insects for pollination, but no one knows for certain. The poems and legends have it otherwise, and are just as nice an idea. I will try the food coloring. Somewhere thru Google, I found pink QA Lace seeds for sale, at 10 for $6.99, (free shipping) I was tempted!!!! But on the way home I found a single plant with many flowering heads right across from the Fire Station. I will stop there on my way home and see if i can find a finished flower, it has been so hot and the rain storms are predicted for tonight...I best try to gather up some seeds now!!

I will try to post a picture of my mock QA lace< Ammi Majus> which is actually Bishop's lace, but really does work well in a flower arrangement.
    Linda

Linda, DId you check out some of his other flower studies. Equally inspiring. He is really good.
    tennessee sue

Yes, I found the clover but haven't had time to look over anything else.
    Send him a note, he appreciates being enjoyed!!
    Linda

Hopefully here is the Ammi Majus "Bishop's Lace that i am growing and it works so well in flower bouquets that i may not worry about growing any QA lace!

didn't work, will try again
    Linda

Ammi Majus??
    Nope, not working for me, oh well
    Last edited by lbfoss; 06-21-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    Linda

One more try
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- Be sure that you are NOT selecting Preview Reply; that will make it not show. Just select Submit Reply.
    If you are getting a link showing and not a photo it is probably because the file is uploading as a .bmp(I can help you around that if that's the problem).
    What are you doing in your last steps--maybe I can figure out what the problem is ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Beats the heck out of me. I have them saved in a photo file in My Documents. They open and seem to attach, and they are a Jpeg. but never show up when the message gets submitted. I tried to edit on Landspro, but the ability to attach disappears then. I will put the photos in my yahoo album and send on the link, seems the only way i can show photos........
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fosslb...5e.jpg&.src=ph
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fosslb...5e.jpg&.src=ph

Frustrating......but thanks anyway!
    Linda

I'm sorry that I couldn't respond earlier. We have been without power most of the morning. At least it was in the morning and not during the heat of the day, huh?

I think that Cathy hit the nail on the head. There is a glitch (I think) in this software. You can't view the post before submitted it. If you do, the attachment goes away. Don't ask me why, but it just works that way.

Once you submit it, then you can view it and if you need to edit the post, change the attachment, etc., you can. You just can't look at the post until you submit it.

Make sense?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hey, Linda!

I viewed the whole slideshow. WOW!!! What a fantastic job you have done with your gardens.

Beautiful rose, and the Queen Anne's Lace is gorgeous and those cute little zinnias! I've gotta try some more of those seeds.

Love the rabbits, too!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Gee I only just got done!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Who is Rose 006 and 007 and ?! They are gorgeous !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast