+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nursery devastated

nursery devastated

Actually the nursery was demolished and I am devastated. A hugh tree fell today smashing most of the pots and a lot of the plants I had potted last week. I was going to move them today but it was cool and windy and I had an ear ache so I was reluctant to work outside too much. The tree fell from one end to another of the flower bed I was enlarging and planned to work on tomorrow. Guess I will work on it, cleaning out branches and trunks! Anybody need some firewood?
    As depressing as it is I try to look at the bright side. It missed the house (by about 8 ft.) The cats weren't under it when it fell. And it sure wasn't as devastating as the hurricanes some of you have to live through each year.
    But life goes on so tomorrow I'll start cleanup and repotting what I can salvage.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Oh Sue ! I am so glad that YOU are OK ! Funny how some things happen seemingly happen for a reason..not the tree falling but that you were reluctant to work outside today ! Your Guardian Angel was at work today(not that Guardian Angels give earaches but they do whisper to you to stay put !). You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can salvage ! Not sure that tackling a big fallen tree is something you should be doing alone though ! Glad everyone is OK ! It's just a wonder that you weren't out there at the time. Thank goodness !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, I was starting to go back out since it warmed up a little this evening. I was waiting to finish up a pot of corn chowder or I would have been out there, probably in that area. Guess I realy was lucky today.
    tennessee sue

Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You are really lucky that you didn't get hurt or have worse damage to your house. Maybe you can salvage some of the plants when you start taking the tree parts out. Hang in there.

We have some large trees near the side of our house and others along both sides of our driveway that I worry about. We've had trees to fall across our driveway multiple times. It really scares me if I'm coming home and the wind is blowing hard.

Deb

Thanks all. A lot of pots were smashed but I was able to find most of the plants and repot them (again). Most look like they will make it. It is just such a mess. Still waiting to hear if the guy wants to come and remove the rest of the tree for firewood. We picked up most of the smaller pieces and piled them up since yard boy was coming today to mow. I sure hope I don't end up paying him to cut the tree up and haul it away. I gpt other work for him. He has about got my front bed in good shape to mulch now after much weedeating and spraying. Gonna work on the shade garden next week. He has been a God send to me. He's going to paint the bottom part of my house for $2o. Can't beat that. I sparayed the Virginia Creeper that has taken over the side of the house that is the most above ground so it should be dead by the time he is ready to paint. Slowly but surely things are beginning to look better, except of course the big tree across the back yard.LOL I did get marked off for the extension to the back flower bed. The extension at the other end will have to wait for tree to be gone. Slow and steady....
    tennessee sue

Oh, Sue!

When will all these trees stop falling on our plants?

Shepp has had wind and storm disasters. William B. has had more than his share. Needless to say, I am tired of downed trees and destroyed treasures. Bigolddude is dealing with a huge share of the woes with Katrina.

I think it is time to sit down, relax and say, "Hey! It's time to give us a break!!!!!"
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sue,
    Sure am sorry to hear about your 'troubles'. Geez, Mother Nature sure can be mean.
    I was glad to hear you say you were able to rescue your plants. But what a mess! I know what it's like cleaning up fallen trees!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread