+ Reply to Thread

Thread: drip irrigation ... roses

drip irrigation ... roses

we are dry .. going to drip irrigation on my roses .. wondering if one dripper in center of each bush is enough?

Jim

Jim,
    It all depends on your soil. If it is very fast draining, you may need more. Start with one, let it run for an hour or two, the test the soil a foot or two beyond the other side of the plant. If it is not at least partly moist, you may need to add another dripper.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

If we don't get a lot of rain and soon ... will be rationing the water. Won't be able to run sprinklers in yard but hope to save the roses.

jim

Jim.

Be sure to mulch heavily to help retain the moisture in the soil. Also, have you thought about trying something like Soil Moist? You could dig little crevices around the plant, sprinkly some into the crevices, then the crystals would absorb the drip and slowly let the roots have the moisture.

We are hurting here, too, but I'm sure it's not as bad as where you are. I saw that the Texas coast was getting a good soak today, but it hasn't made it here yet. We're supposed to get some this week.

In the meantime, I am grateful to still have access to well water.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

soil moist sounds like a good idea .. will check it out. Since we had a mild winter .. we are also fighting .. crickets and grasshoppers .... but we had a great first two cycles of roses.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread