+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulbils(with shoots!)

Blog Entries

Bulbils(with shoots!)

I am slightly tickled as I write this as I think the topic of my very first post was bulbils.
    Anywho, I have a mystery lily loaded with bulbils. I think it is a DOUBLE yellow tiger lily ! When I took a second look at those bulbils, I noticed they have their own green leafy shoots!
    OK, now what do I do ?
    -anxious bulbil mama
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I have tested planting bulbils in several different ways, and have found that they do best either in a community bed, or simply tucked into loose soil/compost. I have some right now in little cell packs, in 32 oz cups, a large plastic nursery box, and in a raised bed with lots of compost. The order that I just listed is the order from worst to best of methods. It seems the growth of the top, and thus the bulb depends on the roots being able to expand, even if they expand with others.

As soon as they let go, or will let go with a little push, plant them just below the surface about 1/4". They should put up growth this year, which may only be a single leaf. When they do, give them a mild shot of balanced fertilizer (liquid or granular). Next spring, fertilize them again early with some time release and they should all put up a flower stalk, but it will be rare if they bloom. But many will put on bulbils. But the next year, you could see some flowers.

The secret is loose, well draining soil, with plenty of root growth space. Even if you have to raise the level a bit with compost, they can stand the dry much easier than wet feet.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Thank you Tom; I'm so appreciative of being able to benefit from the results of your trials and errors. So 'loose composty good draining soil with foot room' it is !
    I assume they will overwinter with mulch in zone 6 ?

Blog Entries
    Tom- They are still hanging on ! I keep checking to see if they are loosening.

How far apart would you plant the bulbils ?

+ Reply to Thread