+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Epiphyllum - Orchid Cactus

Ann, Thank you so much for getting up in the middle of the night to take pictures!
    It is so beautiful. I hope mine blooms this summer and I don't miss it.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

They say that you can cut off the bloom (with a tip of the Epi leaf)and place it in water to bring inside so that you can view the bloom better. That probably would have been easier. I started to bring the hanging basket into the garage, but then I realized I would have to remove the hangers because one of my Passiflora's has decided to cling to it.

Anyway, I am thrilled that I woke up when I did and managed to go outside to find it in bloom. It is protected from rain, but still, I am not too thrilled about going outside during a storm.

The bloom was huge and beautiful. I had no idea what this plant even was when my Mom gave me the first one.

To get them to bloom repeatedly, they seem to need lots of fertilizer, a well established root system (in this case pot bound) and lots of water during the hot months.

Take a peak around the net and you will find some beautiful ones that bloom during the day. What the pictures do not tell you is how large the flowers really are....

I am in awe! And they are so easy to propagate by leaf cuttings like the Christmas cactus or you can cut the large leaves into sections.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Talking

What a special treat! That is a knockout! Woo Hooo

when I take pictures at night, I sometimes turn on the lights It sure helps with my aim!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Oh, Yeah!

Lights would have helped, but I have no lights on the new porch yet. I had to use a flashlight just to find my way out there.

Then, I was dependent on the flash, and guess what? The first shots were all closeups like the last.

So, I had to go back outside again and do it one more time.

Sure was worth it, and yes, I need to install lights on the new porch. It also needs a paint job...

So, the pics that you see are made by this old (and tired, sleepy one) fumbling in the dark and hoping for the best!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, My red epi is in a hanging basket. The one that hasn't bloomed is in a clay pot. My night blooming ceris is in a 3 gallon pot and is about 5 feet tall. I'll start feeding them a little more. The red one did bloom this spring.
    tennessee sue

Please excuse my spelling. That is supposed to be cerus.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    WOW !!!!! My kinda plant...Huge blooms that you can see from a distance !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

In the middle of the night for these white ones...

Hee! Hee! I'm not sure I can do that very often, but 'tis fun once in awhile.

Sue, did your red one bloom during the day? Did it last more than one day?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, It did bloom during the day and the bloom lasted about 3 days. I bought it as Starburst. Remind me when it gets cooler but before winter and I will send you a piece of it as well as the one that has never bloomed for me and of my white cerus. I believe it must be different from yours as mine is huge. I swera it is 5 ft. tall.The leaves are sometimes over a foot long.
    Anyway don't let me forget about the end of Oct. and I will see that you get some of each.
    tennessee sue

Sue!

That would be fantastic! I'll be sure to remember to remind you, and I also need to dig this purple lady banks for you.

Now that we have actually had a decent amount of rain, everything is starting to look lush and green again, and blooms are popping up more and more.

Before you know it, it's going to be winter again. YIKES!!!! Time goes by too fast when you start getting older. Notice, I said older and not old. Never, old...

LAS!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, We finally got some good rain this week too. It was so welcome even if I did get caught outside in it on the way to the Dr. office. I was soaked by the time I got there. Oh well...who cares. The plants sure loved it.
    Don't let me forget.
    tennessee sue

I stand corrected (by my Mom)! My original epi did come from her, but she did not get it from her school. It came from my grandmother (on my father's side).

Sue, all of the epi's that you sent me are doing fine! I must move them soon because they are hanging too close to the passiflora which has already tried to wrap it tendrils around one of the babies that have shot up from your epi's.

I searched for this thread so that I would know when to start watching for blooms.

They will be here before you know it, and I do not want to miss them!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2