+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Flies

Blog Entries

Fire Flies

Can you believe that I saw fire flies tonight ! They are summer visitors, not spring ! Usually don't see them til July !
    It is hot in the 90's. I cannot stand the heat. I like the cooler temps and would much prefer planting in 40 degree weather.
    Supposed to get thunderstorms after 1 AM and early morning. I hate that because sun + wet ground= humidity which will really finish me off. Supposed to be 90's and partly cloudy(I'll believe it when I see it) thru Monday. Augh !

Ya know I just realized that I grew up calling them lightning bugs, not fire flies (hmm).
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 05-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, We always called them lightening bugs.too. Still do. My Mom used to give us a quart jar and Dad would use a nail to punch holes in the lid. We would catch them and put them in our room at night. It was so much fun to be a kid in the country. I miss my Dad so much when I think about the simple things we used to do together.
    It has finally warmed up here but the humidity has been bad the last couple of days,made worse by the fact that my sinuses have been acting up. Some part of my yard is in shade all day so I just work where ever the shade is at the time. It looks like today is going to be beautiful so I think I will go pot up some more seedlings befor eit gets too hot. My nephew's Dad has some fiberglass grates that he said I could have one of. They will be perfect to set on blocks to house flats to get them away from the slugs. My whole yard is turning into nursery beds.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We called them lightning bugs, also! And, yes, we put them in mason jars with a lid that had holes in them.

Those were the fun days, weren't they? Nothing to worry about but enjoying nature in the woods....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wouldn't you like to have one of those childhood summer days back? Nothing to do all day except play. We found something to do everyday and we didn't sit inside and watch TV and didn't know what a computer or video game was. If I got bored I walked to the library. I spent a lot of time under a tree somewhere reading or drawing. We were so lucky to have such an uncomplicated childhood.
    Did anyone else tie a string on a junebug?
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread