+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spider Plant Hardiness

Threaded View

Spider Plant Hardiness

This one amazes me....

It's in a hanging pot and melted to nothingness this past winter, but a little at a time, I watched it come back to life.

Soon, it will be producing little babies! I thought you might want to see.

My favorite spider plant...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh - great - this is a spider plant?!

In Germany we name it "greenlily" and your image,
    Ann, shows the variegated form. Funny, all my life I saw the variegated specimens - now I prefer the unvariegated.

Yes, Hans! They are also called 'air plane' plants.

The green one is beautiful, and the first that I had. I also made the mistake of overwintering it in the greenhouse. BOY! The little 'spiders' loved it in there!

There is also one with the lighter color on the outer edges of the leaf and an almost white one that has very little green.

I'm still pulling up the green ones in the greenhouse and in one of my beds. I do like them, but they like me also and like to multiply like crazy.

The botanical name is Chlorophytum comosum, and they are an extremely popular house plant here. This is the first year that I have purposely let this particular hanging pot stay outside in the winter. Sure enough, it came back prettier than ever and is now producing little babies.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The botanical ID for it is Chlorophytum comosum and there are two variegated forms, one marginal, the other being the center variegation as shown. Chlorophytums are interesting plants and come in several other species. C. bichetii looks like the pictured plant - same variegation with 6" upright lvs and it never produces the "spiders" or "airplanes". Chlorophytum amaniense 'Fire Flash' has spoon shaped foliage with peach/orange stems. I have the latter two and enjoy them a lot.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Oh, WOW! Bob, I must have hit the submit button an instant before you did. Perhaps you could show us some pictures of the last two that you mentioned?!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, here are the pictures you requested. This one is Chlorophytum amaniense 'Fire Flash'
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

I goofed and posted the picture of C. bichetii under a new topic of Chlorophytum. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by txbeyer; 08-01-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Ann, I had several different varieties of spider plants and wandering jews that I left in the unheated greenhouse. They all died down and came back in the spring. I was surprized that they did. The purple wondering jew came back one year after being planted outside in my Mom's front bed. Now I bring them into the basement for the winter.
    tennessee sue

Bob,

I happened upon a Chlorophytum amaniense 'Fire Flash' that was drastically reduced in price. There was no label or name tag, but the plant was and is as healthy as can be.

It's so PRETTY! I now have it tucked in a cool spot where it gets a little rain, but not too much.

What's the best way to care for this one in the winter? I assume that it is not winter hardy here like the others are. Am I correct?

Even if it is hardy, I would prefer to protect it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I have that plant also and you are correct - it is not at all winter hardy. In fact, it is more tender than the other Chlorophytums, a Zone 10 plant so do protect it. I left mine out on a 40 degree night and it was not happy looking the next morning
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

It has already gotten down to 40 here, but like I said, it is in a protected area under the edge of the porch. It is also blocked by a garden wagon loaded down with Amaryllis ready to bring inside.

I do get some frostbite at 39 degrees, but it is in patches. The top of my car can and has had frost on it at 40 degrees. Under the right conditions, my little valley traps cold air. I guess as long as the wind is blowing, it is not so bad. Also, we are minus a lot of the privets on the property to the south of me. I say minus. They are still there, but have been topped by the recent hurricanes, so there is more air movement.

I will be sure to bring it inside if it drops much below that, though.

Thanks!!! It is a pretty plant, but can you tell me? Does it ever have the little spider babies? It is very different from my others.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob,

Amazingly, it got down to 38 degrees last night, and I had to check on this plant first. It looks fine, so I guess I have it protected enough for that temperature anyway.

Can you tell me if the soil needs to be on the dry side during the winter? I haven't repotted it, and if it needs moisture, I will add a few crystals of Soil Moist. I tend to underwater, especially in the winter months, and I don't want to lose the beauty of this one.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Does not like full sun, let get fairly dry before watering. This plant originates from the rain forests of E. Africa so that alone tells you it is pretty tropical in nature. Don't push your luck on low temperatures.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Yes!!!

I think I did push it last night. It got colder than expected, but so far so good. It is very protected, and I'm sure kept warmer where it is.

I will bring it into the patio tomorrow afternoon. It should be fine until then. The only problem is that the patio is not as humid as the porch area. That's why I asked about the soil moisture.

Thanks!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread