+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost warning!!!!!

Angry Frost warning!!!!!

What a bummer! We have a frost warning for tonight. I guess that's why we always wait until Memorial Weekend to plant.
    Sure hope my peony and iris buds will be o.k.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Oh, NO!!!! Just when everything is starting to bloom?

Do you have some old sheets, comforters or anything that you can put over them?

That is a BUMMER! Stay warm and cover those babies. I thought everyone was out of the woods by now, but yep! This happens down here too. You think it is over just to have another one sneak up on you.

Hey! Does that mean you are going to send some rain and cooler weather down this way? No frost, though, okay? I spotted these this afternoon and wondered how yours is doing...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    FROST ??!!! How far north in Michigan are you ? Do you get the cold off the Great Lakes ?
    Ann's right, break out the blankies !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann,
    Wow!!! Brug buds already? WOW!
    Unfortunately I had no where to overwinter my poor baby.
    Hoping my buddy from my other group will send the cuttings he was going to or no brugs for me.

Well we did get frost, but, I only had 1 basket planted and 1 big pot, so brought them in.

Go figure, yesterday and today 90+!!!

I'm in west MI, near Muskegon, by a little town called Twin Lake, 2 words singular. LOL! That's what I have to tell people when placing an order or they send it to Twin Lakes!
    If you look at the back of your left hand, muskegon is where the pinkie finger connects to the palm.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

My Peaches and Cream is about 4 foot tall. It's still on the porch, and for all I know, it has rooted into the ground. That's okay with me if it does because when I manage to get cuttings, the mother plant will stay on the porch (dirt floor). I haven't seen this one bloom yet, so I know it needs more sun. Hopefully, I can take a couple of cuttings to get some started in the ground in a few weeks.

The yellow one that was given to me by the kind Grand Bay Garden Club member rooted to the ground, so I overwinter cuttings which are starting to grow, but not as fast as the pink ones in the ground. Those will definitely be planted in the ground.

The pink one out front (in the picture) has had numerous blooms. Even they are being effected by this drought, so I need to put a soaker hose on them. The ones by the west fence which get flooded look great and are just now getting buds.

The tall cuttings that I took from the pink ones have already had a few blooms. They are nicely formed T's, but I think I prefer the bushier look, so cuttings will be made from these when they get planted. I am happy to find a plant that is so easy to propagate and survives the occasional flooding as well as the colder micro-climate.

I'm taking most of the summer off so that I can plant seeds and make cuttings, and hopefully get rid of some of these invasives.

It's hard to believe that it is 90+ up your way after such a recent frost!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread