+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fascinating Nature Watch

Fascinating Nature Watch

This morning, I spotted a young lizard shedding, so I quietly went inside to get Hunter and told him I had something for him to see, but he had to move slowly and quietly.

He followed me outside, and I pointed to the lizard. I whispered, "He is shedding his skin." Hunter heard me and asked, "Doesn't he eat the skin?" I said, "Let's watch and see."

So, Hunter and I watched the lizard as he stretched and wiggled and chowed on the shedded skin. It was quite awesome to watch.

Blue, the outside cat was fascinated by the fact that Hunter was squatted down to the ground and being so still. She crawled on Hunter's lap, and she snuggled closer to Hunter as he petted her, and we continued to watch this fascinating little critter who didn't seem to be bothered at all to be watched.

Oh, my goodness! That made my day mighty special...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And where was your camera?
    Sounds fascinating. I don't have any lizards here but I did see them occasionally on the farm. Maybe I could find some and transplant them.
    tennessee sue

Believe me, Sue! I would have loved to have taking a video of the whole process, but I was afraid that the camera would scare him away.

Maybe, just maybe, now that Hunter has had the chance to watch it, there will be another opportunity to take pictures. Actually, a video would be better because just a photo alone would not tell it all.

It was quite fascinating to watch!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    That sounds like such a special moment ! And you are so patient Ann, and ever the teacher, with saying 'let's watch and see'. I would have just gone ahead and said yes, it does eat the skin.

The closest I got to a special moment this weekend was seeing two Mourning doves sitting on the nest together ! Never saw two birds sitting togther on a nest. Mourning dove 'couples' are so cute to watch, they are really little lovebirds.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread