+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: redbud propagation

And here is the Forest Pansy Redbud after it has put out its beautiful burgundy leaves.
    Attached Images  

Deb, It is easy to plant to close to things, we forget they grow. My sweet shrub is also too close to the house. y lilac is at the end of the walk but has gotten too tall. It needs a good pruning now that it has finished blooming.
    SWVCC Higher Education Center has built a big greenhouse I think at the Abingdon campus. I am going to call for more info. I missed the open house but they did say they would have classes that people could sit in on (no credits of course). It looked like a nice set up.
    tennessee sue

I think I read that the redbuds don't come true from seed, and it was in relation to growing the white ones. But what the heck, there's no loss in trying.

Do you happen to have any seeds left from last year's redbuds that could travel thru the mail??

I have baby Mt. Vernon magnolias coming up and I bet I could pack one and send it on. After seeing how they treat these seedlings that we get in the mail, I am certain that I could get something safely to you.

I have lots of baby crape myrtles coming along, and I can tell from the leaves on the seedlings that altho they have the same mother, they sure must have different papas. Several have very red leaves and others have greener leaves. I hope they bloom this summer, but they are pretty small yet.
    Linda

Linda,
    The Eastern Redbuds grow wild zones 4 through 9 and will come true from seeds. I have a lot of Eastern Redbud seeds left that I collected last fall and would be happy to send you some. If youíre interested, you can send me your address in a private message.

Itís the cultivars that I believe will not come true from seeds. But, I am certainly willing to try if Sue will share some this fall when she collects them. I did some Internet redbud research and here are the cultivars I found.
    Alba - The flowers are pure white, leaves are green.
    Forest Pansy - Flowers are fuschia pink. Leaves are maroon.
    Flame (Plena) - Double pink flowers. Sometimes called Pink Bud.
    Silver Cloud - The leaves are variegated with pink and white.

The growing information says that named cultivars are usually grafted onto seedlings or started from semi-ripe tip cuttings in spring or summer.

I have two of the Forest Pansys and one Eastern Redbud that I set out last fall. Although they all bloomed last month, I donít see the Forest Pansys setting seeds but the Eastern Redbud has little pods all over it.

We just started landscaping last fall. I have two flower beds completed and am working on a third one that will be my nursery for all these experiments starting things from seeds and cuttings. It has been slow going because the soil is heavy clay. It is very hard to dig in and must be amended a lot in order to be manageable at all.

I don't have any seed left from last year but will be able to get plenty this fall. I was wondering if the white would come true from seeds. I think it takes about 7 years to bloom so it will be a long wait. but it is a lovely tree. Don't let me forget when fall comes to send you both some seed from the white.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

You might have better luck with rooting a cutting of the Alba. Do you think they'd let you snip off a small cutting to try?

Deb, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. I plan to try several. Also some of the frest pansy.
    It has finally stopped raining and warmed up so I am off to the yard. I am way behind on all my outside work.
    tennessee sue

Yes, I would love to try out some seeds. I love growing things from seed, it is so exciting! I will PM you both.
    Thanks, what can i send you??
    Linda

Thanks for the offer Linda. Right now I am up to my eyeballs in seedlings needing bigger pots. I would love to have a magnolia but alas I have no place for a large tree here. Maybe this fall we can exchange some seeds. But I will definately send you some redbud seed.
    tennessee sue

Linda,

I have plenty of Eastern Redbud seeds left and will send you some if you want them. I also have some Golden Raintree seeds if you want to try them.

Deb

Linda and all,

Please know that I am watching this thread. Redbed was my grandfathers favorite, yet somehow I have never acquired one.

My neighbor had a rather large one, and I took pictures of the seed pods and they are posted on a thread on Landspro somewhere. I kept watching the pods and waiting for them to fall, but I never caught them at the right moment. But now, I understand that they can be harvested while still on the tree. Too late, now... This beautiful tree went down in Katrina or was it Rita? Definitely not Ivan, after that, LAS! Time goes by too fast when there is so much going on.

Anyway, both the neighbor and I have been watching to see if there are any sprouts from the roots, and there are none. She bought a small one and planted it near the old pecan tree that went down during Katrina/Rita whatever. Anyway, I was thrilled to see her plant it there. She had asked for my opinion, and that is what I suggested. Sure enough, she did purchase and plant one a week later.

If you have excess seeds, I would love to have a few. I have access to lots of dogwood tree seeds in the fall, but they are all white and I do not know specific varieties. Most are native, I am sure.

I adore the Forest Pansy! I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Sue, your Purple Lady Banks is still blooming. Eight more days of school and somehow, this beauty needs to be dug up and sent to you!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,

I can send you some Eastern Redbud seeds as I have a whole bunch left over. I gathered lots of the seeds last fall. Some of them came from my motherís house in Virginia. She died in January so itís some comfort for me to think some of the little seedlings came from the tree in her yard. Send me a private message with your address if you want some seeds.

The Forest Pansy redbuds in my yard do not appear to be setting seeds although they did bloom. I want to try to root some cuttings in a few weeks when they put out some new growth.

Deb

Redbud Baby Trees

Just thought I'd post an updated picture to show you the little Redbuds I started from seeds.
    Deb
    Attached Images  

Neat!

They are so cute, and the tree is so beautiful!

Thanks for posting that so that all will know for sure that they can be grown from seeds.

And thanks for reminding me to send you a PM with my address. I would certainly like to grow one in memory of my grandfather!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I am styill watching the seeds on the white flowered red bud. They are still green but there are lots of them. When they re ripe I will let everyone know and see who wants them. WIll also have all the normal red buds seed anyone wants. I have watched the forest pansy for 2 years, never a seed pod. Let me know how the cuttings go on that one.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast