+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: redbud propagation

redbud propagation

I have access to a purple leafed redbud ( Possibly Forest Pansy). If never has seed pods that I can find. I was wondering how to start by cuttings. As I don't do many trees would anyone make some recommendations to me. Softwood,hardweood or what and when.
    There is also a white flowering redbud therre. I had never seen or heard of that before but sure enough I found it on line. I will have to check to see if it sets seed. It is the most beautifully formed little tree and was full of blooms this spring planted between two regular redbuds. Quite a sight.
    tennessee sue

Forest Pansey Redbud

Sue,

I love the Redbuds too. I have seen pictures of the white cultivar called Alba. Iíd like to get one of those. I set out 2 of the Forest Pansy Redbuds late last fall. They bloomed this spring and have now sprouted their beautiful bronze leaves. I asked the man at the nursery if the Forest Pansy is a grafted tree and he said yes. I searched for information on the Internet and it says that the named cultivars are usually grafted onto seedlings or started from semi-ripe tip cuttings in spring or summer. In other words, they donít come true from seeds. I suspect they graft the Forest Pansy top onto an Eastern Redbud root stock but do not know that for a certainty. Iím anxious to see if mine sets any seeds.
    Here's a picture of my Forest Pansy from last month.

Deb
    Attached Images  

Nice!

That is one that I will have to keep an eye out for... I have not seen it on the market here, but now that I know about it, I will have to watch for it.

Thanks, and Welcome to Landspro, Deb!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Welcome to Landspro Deb. You will love it here. Somebody has the answer to about any question you might have. Lots of info here.
    I thought I might try some cuttings from the Forest Pansy. I've never tried grafting myself but I can get plenty of redbud seedlings to work with. I will try to check the white one and see if it has any seeds tomorrow since I am working days. Will be glad to share this fall if it does. I can get all sorts of seeds for the regular redbuds. They sprout fairly easily. I found some seeds from last fall that I think I will plant now.
    I wonder if air layering would work on these trees. I know it works well on some difficult shrubs.
    I have looked and never found seed on the Forest Pansy.I think I actually like the white one best. Maybe it is just the form of this particular tree. It is perfectly shaped. These are all older trees.
    tennessee sue

Sue and Ann,

I am also thinking of trying to root some Forest Pansy cuttings. One of mine lost a branch on the way home from the nursery. It is a little lopsided and needs a trim so I might be able to come up with a cutting or two. The Forest Pansy Redbuds must be getting more popular. A couple of years ago I could find them only at large nurseries and they were very expensive. (I consider $75 for a small tree expensive). This year I have seen them at Walmart and Lowes for one-third the nursery prices. I have only seen the white one, Alba, offered in catalogs.

We have 10 acres of land with our house so I have lots of space to fill. Some of it is woodlands but around our new house was a blank slate a couple of years ago when construction was completed. Although Eastern Redbuds are native to this area, there was not any growing on our property. I bought and planted a small one late last summer that was marked down. I also collected a lot of Redbud seeds last fall along a country road where I saw them blooming in the spring. I took the seeds out of the bean like shell and spread them out on paper plates to dry. In November, I mixed up a 50-50 mixture of coarse sand and sphagnum peat. I dampened it and mixed in some of the Redbud seeds. I put the mixture into baggies and put them in the bottom of my vegetable bin in the refrigerator. I took them out last month and laid them on the kitchen counter. After a couple of weeks I picked up one of the bags and saw that seeds were beginning to sprout so I planted the seed mixture in a flower pot. Some of the seeds are beginning to come up but I have not taken any pictures yet.
    Attached Images  

Here is a picture of when I found them sprouting.
    Attached Images  

...should definitely become more popular

I never heard of this tree before (nor did I see any in Germany)and started a google search to reveal its identity. How funny, this Pansy Forest Redbud cercis canadensis belongs to the relationship of beans and peas...
    a veritable Schmetterlingsbluetler
    This Rotlaubiger Judasbaum
    There do exist at least 2 species in cultivation,
    c.canadensis and c.siliquastrum;
    Both with lovely (purple) flowers.
    A brief further search did not reveal that this wonderfull tree is cultivated in another manner than on its "own" roots.
    Thank you for the introduction of this plant.
    the papillon-flowered plants used to evoke my very first plant passion.

Deb
    When did you harvest the seeds? I am seeing them on all the tree branches around here now, and wondered when was best to collect them for the fall. Now or much later. I just don't want to have them all fall or blow off before I try to collect them.

I was lucky to have joined the Arbor Society this past fall and they sent me 10 bareroot trees. ( You know, 8" sticks that you cannot tell top from bottom!!) I cannot find the flier that gave me the names, but two of the little guys seem to be some type of redbud from their leaves. I am hoping they will continue to grow and turn out to be them, but just in case, I want to try some cuttings and seeds myself. Your plastic bag trick looks neat, I usually dampen a papertowel and put the seeds in it in a ziplock bag in the butter area of the fridge and check them at the specified time.

I will try soft wood cuttings off of some next month as well, just for the heck of it.
    Linda

I gathered the ripe seed pods in mid October after they turned brown. The pods hold on tight to the trees so you donít have to worry about them falling off before you get there to pick them. I also gathered white dogwood, Silk or Mimosa, and Golden Raintree seeds I want to try to start. Thereís just not enough time in the day. Having to work is interfering with my garden projects.

I see you are from Virginia. I am from southwest Virginia. I colledted some of the redbud seeds from my mother's yard there so I sure hope they grow for me.

Deb

Thanks, I will try to remember. I currently have seeds in the fridge from Japanese maples, I was supposed to pot them up 1 April. I get the monthly newletter from Mike McGoarty at www.freeplants.com and he reminded me when to collect and when to plant, but I lost track of the time. I need to get busy and get them into pots and outside!!

I rather think that cuttings are the better way to go. My crape myrtle seeds are only about 2" high and they are nearly 5 months old, but the cuttings I did last fall have over 4" new growth on them, so they will certainly be bigger sooner!! I am going to try the redbud cuttings the beginning of June, and then again in early July. See which might work better.

I am in Alexandria with a small yard and a lot of ambition.
    Linda
    Linda

I did a search on Landspro and found more info on redbud propagation. Looks like Cuttings are not really reliable but when did that ever stop us. I will try also on the Forest Pansy.
    Good news. The white flowered one has got oodles and oodles of seed pods. I will collect them this fall and remind me and I will be glad to share those and the regular redbud. There are a couple of seed pods from last fall still attached to the tree. I will see if I can reach those and try them now.
    Do the search for redbud seed pods and read the info there.
    Deb, where in southwest Va. did you live? I live in NE Tn. and can be in sw Va. in about 2 min. from my house. Matter of fact I work in Va. (drat that Va. state tax).
    I really don't have room to grow a lot of larger items but I think redbuds and lilacs will be the exception though. I will start a new thread on the lilac.
    tennessee sue

Linda and Sue,

I want to try to start some cuttings also. I donít know how much success Iíll have but Iíll never know unless I try. I want to take cuttings from the Forest Pansy redbud, Forsythia, Lilac, Flowering Almond, Crape Myrtle, and Azalea. I have just about sworn off ordering through the mail after last year when I received pitiful little half dead switches that arrived bare root, poorly packed, and little or no labels. I work so things only get set out on the weekends. A few of them survived so I have some mystery trees that I have no idea what they are.

Sue, I would love to have some seeds from the white flowering dogwood. I checked on the price of a small Alba and they are around $50 plus shippingÖdefinitely not in my budget. Iíll send you something back in return if youíll share your seeds with me.

I am from Grundy, VA. Thereís not much work in that area since the decline of the coal industry so I moved here a few years ago to take a job.

Deb

Deb, I'm from Bristol so Grundy isn't too far. Isn't it a small world?
    I will be more than happy to share some seeds. Just remind me in the fall when they are ripe. I have never even seen a white redbud and didn't know there was such a thing til I looked it up last week. I hope it comes true from seed.
    Let me know how your cuttings do.I want to try some from my flowering almond also. And the pink lilac Miss Kim I think. It blooms at a very young age. Mine bloomed in the pot last year and this. It is pretty but not the fragrance of the old purple one. I also want to take cuttings from my ninebark and heptacodium. This is one pretty tree. Also plan on cuttings from my blue and white hydrangeas and my PeeGee hydrangia. Bridal Wreath spirea is one I also want to try. One of my Mom's friends has a hedge of them she said I could raid.
    It has been so cold and rainy here that I've yet to do any cuttings. We had a big storm with hail twice today. Hopefully it will warm up this weekend. It is usually not so cold here in May and the month is half over. It was warm in March and April. Guess I got spoiled.
    tennessee sue

Yes, it is a small world. Iíve been to Bristol dozens of times. After I graduated from SVCC I was called to interview for a job at Tennessee Eastman but had already accepted a job here in West Virginia.

It has rained here virtually every day for two weeks. I am so sick of it. I was off work today and between the showers, the sun did peep out a little. I went outside for a little muddy walk and took a few pictures. Here is a picture of the Redbud seedlings just beginning to come up.
    Attached Images  

And here is my old fashioned lilac. I think I did about everything wrong. I put it too close to the house and it has a northern exposure instead of the direct sunshing it probably needs. But, it doesn't look too bad. It has a lot of new growth so I think I'll try some cuttings.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast