+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cactus Flower

Threaded View

Cactus Flower

As Ann will confirm, I have this attitude toward non-performers when it comes to plants. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to her that last fall, when I was moving this big pot about and hurt my back, I just left it outside - all winter.

You see, the thing had gotten really crowded, and I thought that was why it had not bloomed for over 10 years. No need to keep trying to pump life back into it.

Well, here is my surprise. I've got to show you two pictures. This first is to show just how much taller the flower is than it's supporting plant:

Oh, don't ask me to name the thing, I don't use those words on the Internet
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

This next shot will show just what a marvelous flower this thing produces. The flower comes one day, and goes away the next, so you have to be quick. I guess that was another reason I was sort of willing to give up on it.

There are actually 4 buds on one other one. Now won't that be interesting if they all bloom at the same time? I' let you know.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

WOW. don't cacti have such dainty looking blooms? I have several cacti that are supposed to bloom but only do occasionally.
    I'm not sure what to do to encourage them to bloom more often. I basically just ignore them during the summer outside and bring to the basement in the winter. My cacti live longer when I neglect them.
    I have a night blooming cerus that blooms at night and only lasts for one night, I have missed it the last two times it bloomed. I'm going to watch it closer this year and hopfully get a picture.
    Last edited by sue salley; 04-27-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Tom,

Beautiful specimen, even with the cold damage! Looks to be an Echinopsis, probably a hybrid as most of the species that resemble your plant (that I checked) have white flowers.

http://tinywww.com/MjAyOQ

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Gorgeous!!!! That's better than Epi's or at least I should say the night blooming kind because I never get a chance to see the bloom. It gets huge, but blooms when I am too tired to set the clock to get up and take a peak.

Maybe this summer I will manage to do that....

Your clump of cactus looks quite happy, so it must be somewhat hardy. I'd say you have a keeper.

If it produces seeds, please let me know. I used to grow them from seeds, but haven't tried much since Hunter arrived. I still have a few that are getting too big for the old gh. If I thought they would overwinter outside, I would give them a try.

But, hey! Since I grew them from seed, I will continue to baby them until I know otherwise. I think they just need some fertilizer. They haven't had much (shame on me).

Nice, very nice cactus that you have there. Really NICE, healthy looking cactus that you have there, TOM!

And a spectacular bloom!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread