+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iris types(an i.d. question w/ no photo)

Blog Entries

Iris types(an i.d. question w/ no photo)

Well, it looks like my clumps of weird stella or weird native lilies are NOT !
    The foliage is clumped but grows straight up with pencil thin leaves that have not yet unfurled. Today I saw flower buds very similar to iris and red tinged. This id thing should get easier once one of them blooms !
    But I guess what is of note is that it clumps, the foliage is very very thin and very straight(at least initially) and it makes seed pods very similar to daylilies(found some old dried ones on old dried scapes/stalks).
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 04-23-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Stab in the dark:

Siberian Iris, louisiana Iris, Iris species. Yep, it'll be a lot easier once the plant blooms. Question, are the rhizomes covered with a thick brown or blackish fiber or are they bare and green? Also, how fat/skinny are the rhizomes? ARE there any rhizomes visable?

Details, girl, details!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    It looks like it just goes into roots from the foliage. The bud is now definitely purple ! Maybe it will open today by time I get home.

Blog Entries
    OK, one bloomed. It is completely deep sapphire purple. No other markings. It is small in diameter and opens out(I mean there are no 'falls'). It has three successively smaller tiers of petals--in three's. I'd say iris family but NOT flag iris !

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

My brain is so fired, I can't even picture this one. Too bad you can't submit an image. But you are probably right, it is a member of the Iris Family, we just don't know yet. Were these something that were left by the previous owner? Or something you brought with you?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    From the previous owner. And they make seeds although they multiply like rabbits so I can always just give clumpettes.
    I know that I have got to get a darn router and set up the used laptop I bought from work AND learn how to download from the digital camera(it uses a memory card that goes into a floppy disk--high tech 3 years ago!).
    Talking about Iris, I was going to take ALL my iris but was slightly concerned that the new buyers would notice they were all gone, so I took 'some'. The days were very cold by then and I had little desire to spend much time outside. So, it was a roll of the dice as to what I was taking. I had no idea what color was where in that particular bed(I had already snagged the blue caste white ones and brown and yellow 'homestead' ones and old KS cemetery yellow one from elsewhere). I knew that I really did not want purple but only recalled maybe 1 purple in that bed. I figured the probability of hitting purple was low. There were at least 6 white ones; a reblooming Champagne Encore, and my absolute favorite unnamed one in that bed. So....what do you think is blooming right now?! Two purple iris plants !!!! I have the blue caste white ones and see the 3 pink(?) ones from Wally World but all the rest ? Who knows and the bed ain't that big !
    I wish I had taken them all. BUT, that being said, I know ther are many pretty ones out there and will probably buy some of them in the fall.

PS Your daffodils are trying to bloom in my window box !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 04-28-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Problem with memory cards is ya gotta have a reader to go with them. What size is your memory card? I have a 4 in 1 reader that could pprobably read it. If you want to you can mail me your memory card and I'll uploan what you have on it, email the file to you and mail the memory card back to you.

If got 3 old memory cards from my defunct digital, your doests by chance take the skinny 1.5 x 1.75 (approx.) size cards does it? Guess I ought to check these and see if there might be anything on them!

Just a thought.

Rebecca

While digging everything out I did find one thing of use from years ago when I had my iris in the original perennial bed, the name tag fromthe iris I couldn't remember the name of! It's 'Elsie Mae Nicholson'; now to see if I can find an image of it on line to be sure that is what I have!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I'll check and see what I have.
    Today has been a do nuthin' day. It 's been raining since yesterday. I thought it had stopped but the weather report has rain through tomorrow afternoon. I already cleaned the house when it rained earlier this week(not that that doesn't mean there isn't more stuff that could be cleaned like the blinds, the wood work or I still have trash bags full of stuff downstairs from when we moved). I also got some curtains up in the bedrooms. I know that sounds awful; I have blinds though and my bedroom has 2 windows that are narrow and long and face trees. I love light and hate to block it. I recycled some 'lace' curtains that I had and they worked swell. I'll probably order some more from the 'inexpensive stuff' catalog.
    I'll try to get some seeds going tomorrow in pots ! Too wet to dig !

Blog Entries
    Ya know, after all the lamenting about not taking all my iris and not knowing what I took and what I didn't, and how I didn't want purple but got 2 purples......I am actually quite pleased with how well the colors are complimenting each other !
    The purple ones are purple in bud only but opened to be a gorgeous bright lavender(also nicely branched and budded and hence 'long blooming'), and they smell like Pez candy. My Pink Cherubs are going to be apricot(and rather short!). And my Sabetha KS cemetery ones are in bud(also nicely branched and budded) and about to burst open in yellow. Yellow, lavender, apricot and the remains of my blue caste white ones look pretty good together after all ! There are more but not all are up to blooming after the move.

And, I have finally given in and will admit that I think my MYSTERY IRIS that were here when I moved in are Blue Flag Iris
    http://www.prairienursery.com/store/...roducts_id=222

If anyone wants any, I sure can fix you up with some !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 05-04-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's okay, Cathy, I have all the Iris versicolor I will ever need (especially with the deminished space!) Mine came from an old, old, old farm field that stayed somewhat "marshy" in spring and early summer, I really like them and only wish I had a better spot for them to grow and really show their stuff. Since I had to dig all of the up I won't get to see them bloom this year and I really looked forward to seeing them bloom.

I did move some to a low spot by my little rockery and am hoping they get settled in and start to grow soon. They should get really big there and have a lot of nice flowers, eventually. I also potted up a bunck of the larger plants in a big tub like planter and have it sitting in the pond on a stack of concrete blocks. Hopefully some of them will grace me with a few blooms this summer.

Now I just need to add a couple of Louisians Iris and another Japanese Iris or two and I'll have a neat little collection of non-beadred iris.

You never did say what size. type of memory card your camera uses. It'd be nice if I could find someone who could use these memory cards. Thought about seeing if the camera could be fixed, but I could most likely get a new camera for what it would cost.

Ciao!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- I just checked. The card says 8 MB-3.3
    The dimensions are : 1.75 x 1.5--there is a notch on one side so that 1.75 is on the un-notched side.
    OH MY GOSH ! I just read your post again ! I think you have the ones that I use !

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

They do sound right, so tell ya what I'm a gonna do. . . . I'll send these to you and you see if they actually will work in your camera. There are 3 of them; 8MB, 32MB and 64MB. Lots of image space. Now then, do you have a card reader? They plug into the USB port on your PB. Anywho, I can send you the one I used with these memory cards and if you are really lucky I will be able to find the CD that came with it so you'll have the driver you need to make it work. (Otherwise you'll have to go on line to down load one). I did a quick filp though all of my appliance CD's and I FOUND it! Looks like you'll be a getting a whole box of goodies!

Oh the Post Office is just gonna love me today! They'll probably lock the door when they see me coming! LOL!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- Please see PM for my new home addy. They are forwarding mail as well but better to go direct.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!

Blog Entries
    Got the new addy, have all the parts and pieces that ought to make Digital Photography a lot more fun for you. I know all the components I'm sending will work together, just sure do hope they work with your camera!

Also did a bit of checking with Lexar (manufacture of these items) and the cards are "Smart Media", granted a much older version but according to the info on the CD it is compat with Windows 98 SE/2000/ME and Mas OS 8.6 and higher. Sure hope these are compatible with your Opperating System!

Rebecca

Going outside now to get WARM! Pack some plants and all that other fun stuff!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread