+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cloning

Azalea cloning and maple trees

Hello again
    I am once again about to clone some azaleas and went online to read up on it. I have had lots of successes in the past with my azalea cloning, thank you for the help, but my maple trees are spectacular now! (I know you were all groaning over my wanting to grow maple trees but the mother tree is so spectacular in the Fall) Last Spring I took new shoots that came up from the base of the tree, and they rooted readily using Rootone, stuck in sand/peat moss-filled pots, topped with bottomless 2 liter coke bottles and put in shade but no direct sun. I dug the pots into the raised bed garden soil during this past winter and placed bottomless biscotti clear plastic jars (without their lids) over the dug-in pots (to keep the darn squirrels from nibbling the bark tips) My largest and oldest maple is easily 16' tall and branching nicely, the others are smaller but I found that if I planted them in the ground when they were just one season old (and kept my spouse from weed-whacking them), they grew much much faster, so the pots actually may stunt tree growth? I need to plant out my two newest maple babies since they have now leafed out and are ready to take off.
    Anyway, thanks to you all for the encouragement.
    Linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- You amaze me. I will always remember your ability to grow roses from cut roses. I can read all the instructions in the world but do believe there is something such as a Green Thumb-and you've got two !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Those roses are very happy this time of year, I should be seeing lots of flowers shortly. But I have a nice little maple tree at the south end of the rose garden and it is now big enough to actually provide a lot of shade. The roses are now struggling for light, so I may have to move them or cut back the tree??? There are also two crepe myrtles I grew from seed one winter, and they are providing shade, but as they are basically weeds, they may have to come out so my roses will be happy!!

Today I am trying to get some broccoli started, so I will have some this summer. Everything is in the ground but it is still too cool for them to really get going.....the cilantro I started turns out to be parsley...oh well!! need to be sure I get some cilantro going soon, or it will be too hot for it.
    Good to hear from you, Cathy. I love my lilies, when they bloom, I think of you!!

Happy Gardening, I am so very thankful I finally have the energy and health to get back at it!!
    Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2