+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Clivia Surprise

Rebecca, these are spectacular! Congratulations and thanks a million for being such a good momma by both raising them well and sharing them proudly.
    RICH RICH RICH
    Patsy

Blog Entries

Only the peach-pink eludes me now, but I am so pleased and happy with what I have gotten from these South African seeds from a gardening friend who is now gardening in Heaven. One to go that's going to bloom now . . . . wonder what it will be?????

Name:  IMG_1151..jpg
Views: 294
Size:  83.2 KB

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

OMG I love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mu clivia is blooming now, too, but on a spike that is very short that the flowers don't even clear the stem area.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan820 View Post
    OMG I love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mu clivia is blooming now, too, but on a spike that is very short that the flowers don't even clear the stem area.
    Try a little more water, cooler temp and less light - mine are blooming in a cool basement, get watered with cold water (which, btw, I hate having to use) and under lights that really are not the brightest! I do know that if they are not getting enough water when sending out the bloom stems they don't get very tall. Also, C. minitata doesn't always have tall scapes. When mine bloom in the summer, outside (in shade) they don't get this tall!

Hope the hints help.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Try a little more water, cooler temp and less light - mine are blooming in a cool basement, get watered with cold water (which, btw, I hate having to use) and under lights that really are not the brightest! I do know that if they are not getting enough water when sending out the bloom stems they don't get very tall. Also, C. minitata doesn't always have tall scapes. When mine bloom in the summer, outside (in shade) they don't get this tall!

Hope the hints help.
    Thanks for the tips. Last summer when mine bloomed I got a decent scape-- it grew really well. I think it might be the water issue-- I kept it pretty dry and was hesitant to water it more and then it began to grow with the lengthening days and I don't think I kept up with it. Maybe it'll grow enough to clear the leaves? I hope so... I'll go water it now!
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Here is a bloom from my clivia.... this plant has a habit of blooming without me knowing it.

Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    DR, the bloom looks really good and the umbel of buds is well developed, the way you were talking I thought the stem wasn't making it out of the plant before blooming! So you are half-way there! Clivias like a continuous supply of moisture when coming into bloom and until they go into their rest period in the fall. I have kept my seedlings well watered for the past several years (4, I think), but now that some have bloomed, they will be given a semi-dry rest period come this fall (October to April/May or when they begin to show buds). I also use a slow-release plant food. Since you grow Orchids as well, you can give them the Orchid fertilizer and have really good results I grow my Clivias in a 50/50 to 40/60 mix of quality potting mix/orchid bark and the fertilizer is a necessity to keep the plants happy. (My C. miniata do better with more bark (actually a mix for Phals!), so they get the 40/60 ratio. They also do not like being disturbed, but when a plant is not happy, re-potting can do wonders for them!

Good luck coaxing the best performance out of your Clivia. Paying attention to their needs - researching the natural habitat can give you clues! - is the best thing we can do for any of the plants we grow that are not native!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    DR, the bloom looks really good and the umbel of buds is well developed, the way you were talking I thought the stem wasn't making it out of the plant before blooming! So you are half-way there! Clivias like a continuous supply of moisture when coming into bloom and until they go into their rest period in the fall. I have kept my seedlings well watered for the past several years (4, I think), but now that some have bloomed, they will be given a semi-dry rest period come this fall (October to April/May or when they begin to show buds). I also use a slow-release plant food. Since you grow Orchids as well, you can give them the Orchid fertilizer and have really good results I grow my Clivias in a 50/50 to 40/60 mix of quality potting mix/orchid bark and the fertilizer is a necessity to keep the plants happy. (My C. miniata do better with more bark (actually a mix for Phals!), so they get the 40/60 ratio. They also do not like being disturbed, but when a plant is not happy, re-potting can do wonders for them!

Good luck coaxing the best performance out of your Clivia. Paying attention to their needs - researching the natural habitat can give you clues! - is the best thing we can do for any of the plants we grow that are not native!

Rebecca
    Actually, the photo I posted was the first time it bloomed-- not the current bloom. The current one seems to want to open and it's not clear of the leaves....sooo.... we'll see i guess.

I grow my clivia in semi-hydroponics. It grows really well in it-- before I had it in a half soil, half perlite mixture and it did ok, but when I moved it to s/h, it's grown considerably.
    Denver Ryan
    Parker, Colorado (6500')

Blog Entries
    Which growing method produced the better/best bloom though? While hydro-culture may grow the plant well it may not give the plant the environment it needs to produce the best blooms. Big, lush plants can often cause poor performance in other areas, like BLOOMS. Some things just can ot be re-programed into a plants. Think about it. . . let me know!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Newest Images!

Looks like #6 is NOT going to be yellow - :''-( But the latest image of the yellow, who I call "Miss Tina" is just bellisimo! I wish you could smell her soft, sweet fragrance! Would like to bottle it!

It appears I may get some seed set from the miniata X Seedling #5 cross, keeping fingers XX'ed for this. And there could even be a few odd pods from others that selfed - if I allow them to stay. #1 and 2 are finishing and #3 is still looking nice. #4 has begun to drop a bloom or two and the remaining (2) miniata will soon be in full bloom, the thrid one needs to get boxed up and sent to a Daylily/Facebook friend -SOON!

Name:  clivia_N05-472022-&#.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  clivia-no6-492011-.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  miniata-no1-492011.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  miniata-no2-492011.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  83.5 KB

Most, possibly all, of the seedling MUST be re-potted this season and before I do that I have to mark them, some how! as to what color they were and other attributes. I still think I will keep the first 3 together and just give them a better pot (slightly large to accommodate their roots!)

I'm going to miss these when they are all finished, but I WILL have pods to monitor!

Enjoy!

I just posted all the images on Tinker's Garden if anyone would like to view them all in one spot:

http://forums.tinkersgardens.com/for...937&PN=1&TPN=1
    Last edited by Rebecca; 04-10-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: To add a link to Tinker's post.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4