+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clivia Surprise

Blog Entries
    Time to play catch-up! #3 in full bloom also #4 and a tease from #5!

Name:  clivia-3262011-4..jpg
Views: 132
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  clivia-No4-412011..jpg
Views: 131
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  clivia-3262011-3..jpg
Views: 125
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  clivia-No5-412011..jpg
Views: 122
Size:  98.6 KB

Oops, I got them out of order so read the captions! #4 is for sale; holding my breath on #5! and too soon to know how I will re-act to #6!

Enjoy!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Beautiful display, Rebecca! The nursery I visited had a Great stock. Check out this photo and yes, the colors are correct---SO rich! Unfortunately the price was outrageous so I had a terrible time walking away but absolutely NO choice.
    Name:  Goodness Grows 04.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  92.6 KB
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Good looking display of Clivia (miniata most likely) and yes, they are expensive and those appear to be at least 4 years old, maybe 5. I have to know, though, HOW MUCH were they asking?

I need to post a few pics of my seedlings on Tinkers to let them see, especially John, who was responsible for dispersing all of the seeds Dries brought to him back then. It's a shame Dries is no longer with us to see the fruits of his labors. . . .

Didn't I send you a miniata seedling?

Oh! before I forget, I crossed my #1 miniata with the #4 seedling - all 14 blooms, so there could be "hybrid" seeds in the offering in 9 months or so. :-)
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, are you sitting down? $240.00 ! They're VERY well established and full pots. Even though I was carrying my b'day money it was still way out of my reach :-p
    In answer to your seedling question...no...I have only hippies...not that I"m complaining. All from the last shipment are still doing well.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    Rebecca, are you sitting down? $240.00 ! They're VERY well established and full pots. Even though I was carrying my b'day money it was still way out of my reach :-p
    In answer to your seedling question...no...I have only hippies...not that I"m complaining. All from the last shipment are still doing well.

While I know that Clivia can be expensive, even THAT is a bit over the top! Someone's making a mint - or will if they can sell them all at that price! You will be next in line for some seeds to grow on to benefit us both!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I agree. No one was knocking me down to grab one to get to the check-out ;-) Even w/3 to 5 in the pot I had to settle for drooling over the rich color tones and taking home only a photo! I'll be happy to try some seeds when you're ready. In the meantime here's a photo of my latest blooms w/my last clivia miniata to bloom.

Name:  clown 004..JPG
Views: 123
Size:  104.0 KB
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Patsy,

you should try self-pollinating a few of your miniata blooms, can take 9 to 12 months for the pods to ripen, but then you can have a nice lot of seeds to grow on for practice before I send you any of the cross seeds and it will be when THEY are ready, not me! They do take a while to form and ripen! Not speedy like hippies!

Nice lookin group of hippies! Who's in the lower left hand corner? In the vase. . .
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Forgot to tell y'all - will have a huge surprise to show in a few more days, #5 Clivia seedling is to die for! And that's all I'm gonna say!!!!!!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Lovely pix of your Hippies and Clivias Patsy

Lovely bright colour in the Nursery Clivias - Nice short broad leaves which is not typical of the miniata. There also do not seem too many blooms in each umbel. Perhaps next time you call in you should go armed with a paint brush

Rebecca
    You are teasing us It looked like a lemon or off white in the last picture but the buds are so hard to judge. I will be keeping my eye out for this page
    Abby

In vase-Jungke Star.I both selfed by,clumsly broke several.

The vase holds JUNGLE STAR.

As to Clivia... I both selfed and X yellow'ed sinse was all I had. We'll see. These had a few more blooms but I clumsily broke a few off ( including one fused double)
    Patsy

Thank you:+). Rebecca-the vase holds Jungle Star. I both selfed and X yellow'ed sinse was all I had. We'll see. Abby, clumsy me broke off several blooms including a doubke
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyjen View Post
    Lovely pix of your Hippies and Clivias Patsy

Lovely bright colour in the Nursery Clivias - Nice short broad leaves which is not typical of the miniata. There also do not seem too many blooms in each umbel. Perhaps next time you call in you should go armed with a paint brush

Rebecca
    You are teasing us It looked like a lemon or off white in the last picture but the buds are so hard to judge. I will be keeping my eye out for this page

Abby, many have looked like they would be pale cream to yellow, but then color would creep into the buds. I am waiting for a few more buds to open before I will say for sure what color this one is, or post an image. But you have a clue! and so far, so good, maybe even great! Oh and it ain't a pink!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ah!! You still have us guessing - just had to have a quick peep before my departure
    Abby

I'm such a dope, Abby. I just realized you were talking about the unpurchased Clivia...and my carrying a brush there with me. Next time I will!
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    What a difference a few days can make! At the time of my last post, this seedling (#5) only had 1 bloom open. Yesterday It was better, much better and NOW I WILL SHOW her to you!

Name:  clivia_N05-472022-&#.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  clivia_N05-472022-&#.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  83.2 KB

She is NOT from the bred for yellow seeds, but from the mixed colors seeds! I wanted to wait just to be certain she didn't color up after the blooms opened! Now to see what #6 does - it still isn't showing any color, but it also has a couple of weeks before it is ready to open any buds.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast