+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clivia Surprise

Rebecca...now that's surprising. I'm usually the last to notice fragrance. Unlike the rest of me my nose seems to be very insensitive but CLIVIA blooms greet me when I step into the greenhouse. I hadn't even realized they were coming into bloom until I was strolling out one afternoon and saw them facing the plastic shouting "Hey, LOOK AT ME!". It's so crowded that I hadn't even noticed them in the outside row. I'm not usually fond of orange in much of anything but in CLIVIA they seem so vivid they should glow in the dark. The yellow is actually green ... until it opens. You know how VERY much that excites me.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    The buds on the 2 closest to blooming are very pale green, closer to a white in fact, so we shall see!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Today's pix!

Name:  clivia-sdlg-1-2-3	.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  clivia-sdlg_2-2_3.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  clivia-sdlg_1-2_3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  80.6 KB

See what I mean, Patsy, not much color there at all yet, which tells me they won't be red/orange and probably not even pink!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca...I do see what you mean. It looks much like my yellow before it 'yellowed up'. It took so long to change I was hoping I might have accidentally have gotten a GREEN but the yellow's beautiful as well. Now that the bloom's about ready to fade it's turning tangerine.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Patsy, there's 2 or 3 more pushing out buds and could be even more, after all, I do have 19 of the mixed colors and 2 that actually supposed to be yellows! I'm just really hoping I get a pink out of the bunch!

Becca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

OOOOH! P-I-N-K ? I'd love to see that prized color in your collection.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    OOOOH! P-I-N-K ? I'd love to see that prized color in your collection.

ME TOO!

Hey Ann, how are those seedlings I sent you back in 2005? Did they ever bloom?
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

New Picture 5 of 6 Seedlings preparring to Bloom!

Name:  clivia-2-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  clivia-3-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  84.0 KBName:  clivia-5-3172011-2&#.jpg
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  clivia-1-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  84.2 KBName:  clivia-4-3172011-1&#.jpg
Size:  84.9 KB

Anticipation Builds, exponentially!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Looking exciting
    Patsy

Rebecca,

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to those seedlings. I have looked and looked for them and can not even find a pot with a label in it. I don't know if a stray cat knocked the pot over or what, but I would think that I could at least find a label. I cannot.

Everything is so crowded in the porch. I am so ready to take the plastic down, so that I can get to everything and start moving things back outside.

I would LOVE to have a basement!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Rebecca,

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to those seedlings. I have looked and looked for them and can not even find a pot with a label in it. I don't know if a stray cat knocked the pot over or what, but I would think that I could at least find a label. I cannot.

Everything is so crowded in the porch. I am so ready to take the plastic down, so that I can get to everything and start moving things back outside.

I would LOVE to have a basement!

Well, Bummer, Ann! If they are hidden they should be more than big enough to bloom, even if in a small pot. They WILL out grow their pots and push themselves out, so look even where you wouldn't expect to find one!

A couple are getting color (#'s 1 & 2) and the buds on one of them are huge!. They are NOT going to be yellow :-( Will try to get down to the basement today and get pictures. There are 6, possibly 7 of the seedling showing buds and all 3 of the miniata are going to bloom. I may have to allow a few seed pods on these babies, then again, I may just use their pollen on the miniata. (And yet I may do nothing!). We shall see. . . .
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

New images!!!

Name:  clivia-2_3212011-1&#.jpg
Size:  84.2 KB

Not quite as fiery. . .

Name:  clivia-1+2_3212011&#.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  78.8 KB

#2 in front and #1 in the back; this shows the difference in the colors very well as #1 is a soft peachy color and #2 is closer to tangerine!

Name:  clivia-miniata_1_&#.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  84.0 KB

Blooms on miniata are only about 2/3 the size of seedling #2!

Name:  clivia-1_3212011-1&#.jpg
Views: 168

Fluorescent lights, even mixed cool and warm white still give too much of a glow. But this shows the flower head nicely.

Name:  clivia-3_3212011-1&#.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  84.7 KB

#3 looks like it may be a pale peach, will know in a day or two!

Numbers 4, 5 and 6 are progressing nicely with #4 beginning to show just a hint of color. I've been communicating with a fellow in New Zealand about getting a few seeds from his program but am not sure what certification is needed here in the States and finding any concrete info from the USDA is like pulling elephant teeth. Anyone know? How about South Africa? I know there didn't used to be any issues, but with all the terrorism these days, one never knows what rules change or when!

Enjoy the images!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Very nice Rebecca
    Abby

Blog Entries
    What a difference a day makes!

Name:  clivia-3_3232011-1&#.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  84.1 KB

Getting some really nice pastel coloring!

Name:  Clivia-2_3232011-2&#.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  80.9 KB

I like this shot! Moved the pot off the shelf and set it down on a filing cabinet so I could have a better angel. And, yes, these three are all in the same pot!

Name:  Clivia-1-2-3_32320&#.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  84.0 KB

Color is so rich on this one and blooms are huge compared to C. miniata !

Name:  clivia-1_3212011-3&#.jpg
Views: 162

I am definitely KEEPING this one!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks much for the email/heads-up about these photos. They're spectacular.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast