+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clivia Surprise

Threaded View

Clivia Surprise

Last year, Rebecca gave me two clivia seedlings. They are doing well and are quite happy in my 'special' room.

I remember Tom posting about his Clivia quite some time before that.

A couple of months later, I spotted an different type of plant in the Lowe's garden center. I thought, "No, it can't be! Is it?" I looked at the labels, and sure enough, it said Clivia.

They were huge even though they were in 1 gallon pots, and the mark down price was $5. I grabbed two and headed for the counter.

They overwintered in the porch, not the patio. I had them hidden amongst some vines. Today, I spotted a bright color and moved some leaves to take a peak.

One of the Clivias is in bloom, and it is a spectacular sight! And not only that, the one in bloom has a pup.

Here ya go....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

WHAT A DEAL!

And what a lovely cultivar it is. The markings are especially interesting.

Sometimes you just gotta love Lowe's.

Robert,

I think this is the more commonly available one. Still, I couldn't believe the price either. There were obviously no blooms, but the foliage without the blooms is beautiful. That's why I bought two.

They are still in the same pots, and one is bursting at the seams with large roots that look like aerial roots coming out of the bottom. Right now, they are both in the patio trying to get as much sun as I can give them, but as soon as it gets a little cooler, I'll move them to the porch where they one bloomed last year (more humidity and sitting on the ground).

The only thing that concerns me is that if I don't get a chance to repot them, they will dig their roots into the soil, making it difficult to repot them. As it is, I will have to carefully cut the pot to remove them.

Rebecca's babies are still growing great, but they haven't grown as much as I would think they should, so they will go to the porch area this spring and get lots of fertilizer!

Robert, be careful! This is another habitual plant, and right now, they can be really, really expensive! Maybe, just maybe, mine will make some seeds next year. They didn't last year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

New Picture 5 of 6 Seedlings preparring to Bloom!

Name:  clivia-2-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  clivia-3-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  84.0 KBName:  clivia-5-3172011-2&#.jpg
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  clivia-1-3172011-1&#.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  84.2 KBName:  clivia-4-3172011-1&#.jpg
Size:  84.9 KB

Anticipation Builds, exponentially!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Looking exciting
    Patsy

Rebecca,

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to those seedlings. I have looked and looked for them and can not even find a pot with a label in it. I don't know if a stray cat knocked the pot over or what, but I would think that I could at least find a label. I cannot.

Everything is so crowded in the porch. I am so ready to take the plastic down, so that I can get to everything and start moving things back outside.

I would LOVE to have a basement!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Rebecca,

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to those seedlings. I have looked and looked for them and can not even find a pot with a label in it. I don't know if a stray cat knocked the pot over or what, but I would think that I could at least find a label. I cannot.

Everything is so crowded in the porch. I am so ready to take the plastic down, so that I can get to everything and start moving things back outside.

I would LOVE to have a basement!

Well, Bummer, Ann! If they are hidden they should be more than big enough to bloom, even if in a small pot. They WILL out grow their pots and push themselves out, so look even where you wouldn't expect to find one!

A couple are getting color (#'s 1 & 2) and the buds on one of them are huge!. They are NOT going to be yellow :-( Will try to get down to the basement today and get pictures. There are 6, possibly 7 of the seedling showing buds and all 3 of the miniata are going to bloom. I may have to allow a few seed pods on these babies, then again, I may just use their pollen on the miniata. (And yet I may do nothing!). We shall see. . . .
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    What a difference a few days can make! At the time of my last post, this seedling (#5) only had 1 bloom open. Yesterday It was better, much better and NOW I WILL SHOW her to you!

Name:  clivia_N05-472022-&#.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  clivia_N05-472022-&#.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  83.2 KB

She is NOT from the bred for yellow seeds, but from the mixed colors seeds! I wanted to wait just to be certain she didn't color up after the blooms opened! Now to see what #6 does - it still isn't showing any color, but it also has a couple of weeks before it is ready to open any buds.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Clivias are a winter surprise. They seem to bloom in late winter or early spring. The color is absolutely beautiful. I have the common Clivia minuata (that Ann pictured in a previous post) and a variegated one (of course) of Clivia durama that has nice white streaking along the leaf but yet to bloom. There is a solid yellow one also but I've never had it. These plants love to be potbound and that encourages blooming. If you repot it, it may set it back for it's next bloom period so repot only when absolutely necessary and don't oversize the new pot. Fertilize after blooming to encourage growth of next years bud. This is a slow growing plant and takes a while before pups appear. I wouldn't be caught without a Clivia in my plant collection!
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Thanks, Bob!

The one that bloomed has a pup (as noted), and you can actually see the ouline of the roots of that one because the pot is bulging so badly. That's the one with roots growing out the bottom.

I do not plan to repot it until after bloom time when the weather is warmer. To be truthful, that's primarily because I am out of space. I plan to put it in a more decorative pot, so that I can take it to school. Don't you think that beautiful foliage would look good on my window sill at school?

So far, my room is decorated with posters, etc. like the normal classroom and these very pretty and colorful birdhouses that the students admire and never bother. It's geometry in motion for the kids! Besides, I think they like the home feel of the little extras in the room. Plants will add to it, so it's about time to do just that!

Hey! Wouldn't they be in awe if it bloomed in the classoom?!?!?!

Bob, Do you have any pictures of the variegated ones?

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I've only seen these a couple of times. And they were very expensive. I love plants, but . . . . . . when I can buy 3 or 4 for the price of one. . . . . . well I gotta go with the quantity.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Clivias are very slow growers and don't use much by way of fertilizers, it is better to use fish emulsion on them. I know it stinks, but that is what they seem to respond to better than inorganic fertilizers.

When you do repot, remember to use a soil less mix and add orchid mix to it. Could be the one that appears to be pot bound isn't really, but has sent its root where they can get better air circulation. That is a must for them.

Also do give them as much sun as they can take w/o burning the foliage.

Water when dry, they do like to dry out in between times too.

Clivias do tend to rest in winter, meaning they prefer cooler temps and less water, so it's unusual that the one is blooming now. It could set seeds, if there are any pollinators around (insects, frogs, lizards running around), you'll know if it happens and it will take 6 months or longer for the fruits/seeds to ripen. The fruits can hold 3 to 5 seeds for each bloom that was pollinated. The fruit generally gets a red blush to it's cheeks when it's about ripe. I always let them remain until they split by themselves and often miss them. Which is o-kay as they are big seeds and fall to the base of the mother plant and will often send out a radical. They do take a few weeks to germinate, but once they start to grow they move on pretty quick for the first year or so before slowing down. Growing seedling warm year round can speed up the growth rate, but that may or may not be a good thing. C. miniata can bloom in 3 to 4 years from seed, the newer hybrids and the variegated onces can take up to five years. Fortunately, once they start to bloom they tend to be fairly dependable and will bloom at about the same time every year.

Ann your Lowe's plant appears to be C miniata or the (common) "Lady Clive' or 'Kafir Lily', truly beautiful species. I was really surprised when mine attempted to bloom last summer after I so violently divided and re-potted it. I suspect it will take a couple of year to recuperate, which is fine. My remaining seedling is growing a little bit, but I don't water it very often either. If I did it might grow faster, but since is can get so cool in the basement I don't like to keep my tropicals to wet as that can invite rot.

I've a daylily grower friend in Australia who also grows Clivas and has some very lovely pinks she has bred over the years. She's sending me a couple of seeds this summer, but after I get my small lots seed importation permit. So looks like I will have a creamy yellow one, now to just live long enough to see it bloom!

Good thing really, that Clivias are expensive, otherwise I'd have another plant addiction to deal with!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

New images!!!

Name:  clivia-2_3212011-1&#.jpg
Size:  84.2 KB

Not quite as fiery. . .

Name:  clivia-1+2_3212011&#.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  78.8 KB

#2 in front and #1 in the back; this shows the difference in the colors very well as #1 is a soft peachy color and #2 is closer to tangerine!

Name:  clivia-miniata_1_&#.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  84.0 KB

Blooms on miniata are only about 2/3 the size of seedling #2!

Name:  clivia-1_3212011-1&#.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  84.2 KB

Fluorescent lights, even mixed cool and warm white still give too much of a glow. But this shows the flower head nicely.

Name:  clivia-3_3212011-1&#.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  84.7 KB

#3 looks like it may be a pale peach, will know in a day or two!

Numbers 4, 5 and 6 are progressing nicely with #4 beginning to show just a hint of color. I've been communicating with a fellow in New Zealand about getting a few seeds from his program but am not sure what certification is needed here in the States and finding any concrete info from the USDA is like pulling elephant teeth. Anyone know? How about South Africa? I know there didn't used to be any issues, but with all the terrorism these days, one never knows what rules change or when!

Enjoy the images!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Very nice Rebecca
    Abby

Blog Entries

Only the peach-pink eludes me now, but I am so pleased and happy with what I have gotten from these South African seeds from a gardening friend who is now gardening in Heaven. One to go that's going to bloom now . . . . wonder what it will be?????

Name:  IMG_1151..jpg
Views: 294
Size:  83.2 KB

- R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast