+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fungus Gnats

Okay, it has been awhile, and I have been hither and tither...

Girls are green and boys are brown?

If that is the case, then I rescued a boy in the garage. I carefully cupped him in my hand and took him to the greenhouse for a feast.

When I got to the greenhouse, he didn't want to let go of my hand. That was the same case with the brown, smaller one that ventured out when I turn on the cool mist.

So, please... Refresh my memory! Is it the males or females that befriend you?

Rebecca, if you have extras of these, I would love to have more. They are so cute! I have lots of lizards, some frogs and a few snakes (argggg***), but not very many of these friendly critters. I would love to have more!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

From what I have seen on the web, they are at least very bizarre.
    Some are equipped with wings which are so beautifull that these appear to be stolen from butterflies

As I am not so familiar with the degree of sex dimophism in mantids I would take into consideration that the brown and green specimens belong to different species.

Very interesting...

I didn't realize there were so many different species of the Praying Mantis!

Gotta tell you, though... There were a couple of websites that I found which will sort of freak you out. One told how the female will devour the male after mating!

Another showed a vivid picture of a huge green one eating a hummingbird...

I used to see a lot of these, but I suppose I either don't have as much time to venture around my gardens (or is it the HEAT?) OR my lizard population is devouring them.

The little ones are cute and friendly, and I will let them fend for themselves. With one exception... If I catch one, he goes into my greenhouse!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2