+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is double digging ?

Blog Entries

What is double digging ?

I'm fantasizing about raised beds again. I read on the internet the following and have no idea what double dug means ?

The new growing beds can be double dug, which takes a lot of work. Double digging will improve both drainage and aeration. Other soil improvements can be the adding of organic materials, rotted manure, and topsoil. Making the soil loose and deep allows intensive planting.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It's easier to demonstrate than it is to describe. I have seen several methods, but for the most part, you dig a row, turn it over onto the previous row, then dig the next row, turn it over to the previous row.

Then you go in the reverse direction. Dig and turn over to the next row, dig and turn over to the next row.

If you sprinkle some peat moss and/or compost on each row before digging and turning, it will amend the soil. You can also sprinkle with bone meal and other organic nutrients while you are at it.

The more organic matter that you add, the more raised the beds will be. All will tend to 'sink' in time as the organic matter decomposes, but just keep adding mulch to replenish and your plants will love you.

Actually, I think it is a lot better to double dig than it is to till the soil. Just my opinion, though...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_soil_wat...564620,00.html

Oh my..why does everything good take so much work. After reading your reply, I searched on the internet and was thoroughly amused at finding this link. I wonder what color the sky is in their world ? Where do you find people like they describe. Id like to load them onto a bus and have them sent to my house ! LOL!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, Double digging is almost impossible here with my clay. I wish I could double dig as it does help the soil.
    Thanks for that link I have been reading on it forever. There is a lot of good info there.
    tennessee sue

http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...19-934,00.html

There is no way to make this a fun day! But the rewards are worth the effort.

On the farm this is referred to "sub-soiling", or 'breaking hard pan'.

The tree farmers make a single deep cut about 3 feet deep and only a few inches wide, and then go back and plant in that row.
    Last edited by Tom; 03-27-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Cathy,
    Where I haven't put raised mounds, I have double dug the soil and yes it is loads of HARD work. Good thing I have a strong back from doing all the firewood. LOL! There is no subsitute for proper soil prep for what you want to grow there. It pays in the long run. IMHO!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread