+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shopping trip

shopping trip

I went to pick up some potting soil and seed starting gear yesterday. You all know what that means...plants.
    I came home with a variegated wallflower with blooms that are purple and rusty I guess depending on the age, Very unusual and looks like it will be easy to start from cutting.
    I got a couple of pots of sweet woodruff, one of my favorite herbs. Mine was trampled down while I was living elsewhere. It makes a good ground cover with interesting foliage and little clusters of white bloom in spring. It also is the main ingredient in May wine.
    I also bought a Grace Ward lithodoa. Not sure how hardy it will be here but I was mesmerized by the true blue blooms. It is also an interesting ground cover. I also got another small leaved ground cover that blooms blue but I can't recall the name right now.
    Pieris Japonica from clearance rack for 2.50. One of my favorite shrubs. Was in good shape it just had stopped blooming.
    I did manage to start some seed today, too. Has been a pretty productive day off for me. Now if it would just warm up. I bought plastic for a frame to put outside for seedlings. THat will be for the next day off.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Doesn't a good gardening shopping day just feel great ?
    Your stores/nurseries must have a good variety. I don't think any of those names ring a bell(haven't seen them here). I will have to look them up. That wallflower color combo sounds pretty. I had to look up May wine(http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_sweet_woodruff.htm)
    Do you make May wine ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, I got all these plants at Lowe's!
    I have made May wine and will make some this year . I'm not much of a wine drinker so I will use lots of strawberries.
    The little shopping trips and seed starting did me a world of good. Like a spring tonic.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

You'll be having Christmas in March if I can manage to get this box of seeds sent out this Monday. It's just chock full of all kinds of goodies. I can't guarentee they'll all grow, but some will be very interesting to try. Even packed in some seeds from flowering shrubs and such. You might have to just pot them up and sink the pots in the ground and wait a year for sprouts. You might want to soak the daylily seeds (they're on top) for 24 hours before you plant them. In fact any of the bigger seeds will do better if you soak them for 24 hours before planting. I didn't get a list made, so if you need help decyphering the hyrogliphics, just let me know.

Rebecca

PS I could stand a good garneding shopping trip, affraid there isn't much available up here yet though.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, I can't wait for my package. You and Cathy are going to keep me busy with seed starting. I really appreciate it.
    I didn't think there would be much in here to choose from. Apparently these plants had just arrived as some were still in carts with plastic wrapped around them.
    I need to fix an area for seeds that take 2 years. I have some solomom seal I started last year. They form roots first year like many trees and shrubs. I hope I can get seeds from my false solomons seal this year. Seems the critters take off with them before they get ripe, as they do with my jack-in-the-pulpit. I should be able to keep an eye on them better this year. I plan on extending my shade garden quiet a bit this year. It is in better shape than my other gardens considering the vinca ground cover. The area I want to extend into has a lot of honeysuckle in it though. It is hard to get rid of.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

Have you tried putting an old pair of hose on the False Soloman's Seal and others to keep the birds and critters from getting all of the seeds? Just an idea that might even work! Besides, old panty hose ought to be good for something!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I was going to try to contain the seed in something and old hose would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.
    I have been at it again today...shopping. I bought new pruners, 2 sizes. 2 hose nozzles, one for fine mist, garden gloves and garden shoes.
    Bought lots of chive seeds (yummy) and catnip ( if they will leave it alone til it gets established).
    I found a good deal on some bulbs. I bought liatris,sparaxis,and an asiatic lily that is yellow woth orangey/red center, It is already sprouting so it will go in a pot tomorrow until I find it a more permanent home.
    Gosh I just took a look and all these bulbs have sprouts. The sparaxis will go in pots so I can protect them this winter. I have had them before but they didn't winter over for me, but it was bad that year. The liatris willl also go in pots as they are nursery plants for next year.
    Somebody needs to keep me at home and out of stores and on line catalogs.
    tennessee sue

All the bulbs and perennials are in pots now. The peoney I bought was bowl of beauty. I hope it does ok. Root didn't look too good.
    All the perennial seed I had are now either in flats or soil in the frig. I have some herb seed to plant but that can wait til a little later as some are annuals (basil).
    I got to try out all my new toys. Pruners work great. Nozzle didn't have fine enough spray for soaking seed flats. The one I have from last year works better. I hate to carefully plant seed then blow them away with the water.
    This was the nicest day we've had in a while. Sunshine and very little wind. About time.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I may have to break down and make a trip out to the local wholesale/retail greenhouse just to see what's growing and if anything is in bloom in any of the houses.

If they have anything really super-dooper special and it doesn't cost too much, I might even buy something. Hey, I just thought of something, I need potting soil, wonder if I can talk them into selling me some of their bulk mix? Hum.. ..that's a good thought!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I think that this year I will switch to the make your own potting soil. I love the Lambert's that I get from HD which I amend with vermiculite and perlite that I purchase for about $10 each for a 4 cubic foot bag. Still, the Lamberts is primarily processed peat moss with a little charcoal for sweetness, so I think making my own should be about as easy since I amend it anyway.

I get tired of running out of the Lamberts and the vermiculite and perlite go a very, very long way towards amending to a workable mix.

I am so fortunate that our HD has the vermiculite and perlite in large bags.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- I have been thinking along similar lines. I have made my own with peat moss, potting soil of dubious origins(WM) and cotton bol compost(soil acidifier). Now I wouldn't use that to start seeds but have used it in pots for lily bulbs and daylilies. I will have to raise large areas this spring and since what they deliver is sandy loam(heavy on the sand); I can extend that by adding all those ammendments. Sorta like hamburger helper; I guess it's dirt helper.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

i get what is called soil conditioner which is very fine bark to mix with peat for a good mix. I like to use a little sand and vermiculite also. I rarely use anything the way it comes. I think it is cheaper to mix your own. I never really like the mixes you buy. They are mostly peat anyway.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    You know they've been digging up the street in front of the house and using sand and crushed rock for back fill after they lay the new storm swere tiles; do ya think they's miss a couple of buckets of sand? I know the stuff (mostly reclaimed potting mix) in my barrel right now could use some sand worked into it, mabe some pearlite too. But the sand will be easier to come by! I'll have to aske about the snd tomorrow. Not that they'd miss it, not with all that gets wasted because the front loader can't scoop it all up. I'm sure the creek has a nice new layer of clean sand i it's bottom!

I used to alway mix my own potting soil, but the ingrediants aren't as easily availbe here as they were in southern Indiana, and since I can't shop wally world, sure aren't convenient to get toa source. And you know if my landlord has a problem with a well maintained compost pile he's positively freek if I bought a load of bulk potting mix!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread