+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mahonia

Threaded View

mahonia

I have found some mahonia seedlins I may be allowed to dig up, and some forsythia that I think are from natural layering ot older branches,
    I was wondering if anyone has grown mahonia and how well it sells for you. I have seen the mature plants nad I love the blue berries.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

There's an old post on Landspro taken with my old camera. It's a cluster of those berries and it doesn't show the true beauty.

Last year, I cut my mahonia back because of the debree from you know what, so I don't know how many berries I will get. But my neighbor has a huge one if you want me to harvest some for you.

They say that it is easy to grow from cuttings, but I haven't tried that. I just imagine that it would be.

Pretty plant, but prickly...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I think they must be easy to start from seed as these are volunteers and there are lots of them. From 2 parent plants in what doesn't look to be agood growing conditions.
    I hope to dig them up this week.
    It will be a start for my new endeavers.
    tennessee sue

These are on my neighbor's shrub.

The picture was taken a couple of hours ago and there are several other clusters...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

FYI- Caution

Just in case some of you are affected, the following article may be of interest. Particularly if you plan to be shipping seeds.

WEST VIRGINIA BARBERRY AND BLACK STEM RUST QUARANTINE
    WEST VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
    May 11, 1992
    Statutory Authority: Chapter 19, Article 12, Section 6 of the West Virginia Code
    Notice is hereby given that the common barberry (Berberis vulgaris) and its horticultural varieties, as well as certain other species of Berberis, Mahonia, and Mahoberberis, found growing in West Virginia are capable of harboring the destructive disease black stem rust (Puccinia graminis) of wheat, oats, barley, rye and many wild and cultivated grasses, resulting in material financial loss to growers of these crops in West Virginia.

http://www.wvagriculture.org/images/...Quarantine.pdf

One clip from the article: "C. MAHONIA - Any plants, cuttings, stocks, scions, buds, fruits, seeds, or any parts capable of propagation of any species, variety, or hybrid of the genus Mahonia, commonly known as mahonias, hollygrapes, holly barberries, or Oregon grapes.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks for the info. No shipping, I'll just get mine locally.
    Great pic Ann. I do really like the blueish berries and the yellow blooms. I need that pic to sell these plants.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread