+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you SOW IN FRIDGE ?

Blog Entries

How do you SOW IN FRIDGE ?

I just went through my seeds and have two that need moist cold and suggest the fridge. How do you plant in the fridge ?

English Lavender: Seed prefers an 8-12 week cold, moist period b4 germinating. sow in place outdoors OR IN FRIDGE.

Asclepias incarnata, white. Seed requires at least 8 weeks of cold, moist stratification. sow outdoors OR IN FRIDGE, then out to 65 degrees to germinate.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Moist spagnum moss in a zip lock baggie ougth to take care of it. Or even in a small store'n'toss plastic container.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

One easy way that I have found is to place a moist paper towel on the counter, spread the seeds out on it, and then cover that with another paper towel.
    With the towels moist, you can fold or roll them to fit inside a ziplock freezer or sandwich bag, and the seeds don't shift over into a lump. When you bring them out to check, any roots that may have developed are not all tangled with each other. I'm not experienced with the ones you mentioned, but the ones I do this way seem to do well.
    Last edited by Tom; 03-17-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Depending on the seeds, I like all of the above methods. I do add vermiculite to the peat or just use straight peat (which tends to pack tight). If I am doing tiny seeds/seedlings, then I use a soft facial tissue instead of paper towel. It is easier to tear without ripping the fine roots.

Keep in mind that some seeds need varying temperatures in order to give good germination. Ie., warm in the day and cool at night. Those almost have to be done before nights are too warm. I found out this the hard way with Cleome. It didn't germinate under lights. I had them there for months. Nothing...

Then, I moved them to the gh and wouldn't you know it, they sprouted like crazy. Made me do some research, and that is exactly what I found out.

Because it is easy, I will often use a fine grade of vermiculite, just barely damp...

Whatever works for you is the BEST!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,
    I have those two seed types that you sent me in the fridge too. This is the first time I have put the seed in baggies in the fridge and I am dying to take them out and plant them I have about 20 bags of different seeds in the bottom drawer.
    I have found that most tree and shrub seeds have to be treated this way so I have my Chinese elm seeds in there too. We'll have to compare notes on the germination rates on these.
    tennessee sue

As an after thought I have never had good germination on lavender so I am anxious to see f this helps.
    The only problem with this method is that I am impatient. I don't want to wait that long but I am resisting the temptation to plant them now. Most have only been in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Some I will plant next week.
    I am particularly anxious to see how the clematis seed do. They had some condensation from me taking them out and looking at them so I hope they are alright. ( that was before I sowed them in the fridge).
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread