+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, William B.

Threaded View

Happy Birthday, Willaim B.

Gee, William!

Happy Birthday to you!

I sure hope your day has been a wonderful one.

Thanks for being an active member of Landspro. We appreciate you!

BTW, Endless Summer Hydrangeas have gone up in price here. I found out that the reason they are popular up north is that they bloom on new wood whereas our older varieties bloom on old. Blooming on new wood makes it possible to have blooms up north. Make sense?

Happy B'day, William! This is going to be a fantastic year for all of us!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Happy birthday my friend, even if it is belated. Wanted to send you some nuts for your beloved squirrels but forgot.LOL
    Hope you had a good one.
    tennessee sue

Thanks you two.
    william b.

Hey, William, aka, Tony!

I hope your day was a great one. I am sad for the lack of reponse, but I know lots of others also wish you a Happy B'day!

Prices for Endless Summer went up here this year. Did you see that price hike also?

I am watching mine to see how well it does. It is outside, and I see buds forming. The one thing I noticed about it last year is that it pouts during dry spells and heat.

In fact, it seems that a lot of plants are higher priced this year. Perhaps that is a result of the gas shortage after the hurricanes or simply because a lot of local nurseries suffered damage.

Still, most prices are reasonable, and the plant quality is superb as usual.

Any difference up your way?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and all,
    Yes prices (wholesale) have really shot up this spring.For example,last year I bought 3 gal. knockouts for $6.95 ready to sell.This year they are $9.95 for the same size plant,don't guess I'II be buying any.I'm having to really be selective and watch what I buy to resell,the stuff I grow myself I still do good on.I had to pull back on what I grow because of changes at work.I have a little over 11 months until I retire,this was going to be my year to expand.
    Big storm hit yesterday,about $75,000.00 in damage,things could be better.The good news is the four dogs and two cats or my wife and myself weren't killed.I'II probably sell down this spring and call it quits,my energy is about gone.I'II keep my dump truck to deliver mulch,dirt and gravel,its a lot simplier and profit is instant.
    I'II try some pictures later.
    Thanks
    william b.

Photos of the storm.
    Attached Images  

photos
    Attached Images  

photos
    Attached Images  

photo
    Attached Images  

photo
    Attached Images  

photo
    Attached Images  

If I don't get back to answer any replies right away, I am pretty tied up for a few days.
    Last edited by william b; 03-19-2006 at 06:53 PM.

photo of nursery building
    Attached Images  

OMG!!!

Now, maybe everyone will understand why I was so humble about my hurricane damage.

Indeed, it looks like your place went through one. Was it a tornado?

You have every right to be discouraged, but please do not give up all too quickly.

I suspect that a lot of relatively small nurseries will have to revert back to growing their own rather than buying wholesale around here. The market is simply too tight. Too much demand...

$1.97 plants are now $2.47. JRM were around $10-15 per 5 gallon pot. Now they are $20 and $30 for a 15 gallon.

Endless Summer is $15.97 for a 3 gallon pot.

Dwarf JRM's are $15.97 for a 3 gallong pot.

The biggest price hike is in the smaller stuff, the 1-3 gallon. So much was destroyed and everyone wants to get back to normal again, but, like you, it will be a long time before that happens.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.

This reminds me of Shepp's devastating blow, but I don't think it was quite as bad as yours. Only he can tell us that...

Thanks for the photos. They tell us a lot. My heart aches for you in your losses.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh William.. I am so sorry that that happened to you. What is that red building; that tree cut it in two ? What state are you in ? Was that a tornado or high wind ? Please know that you are wished much peace and a swift return to normalcy !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast