+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone growing lisianthus?

Anyone growing lisianthus?

I bought some Lisianthus seeds from Park Seed for the 2005 season, and i forgot about them last January. I decided to haul them out and try them this year. So far, none have germinated and i am crushed. According to the Internet articles, they are easy to germinate, so i am wondering if the seeds are just no longer viable!! I stored them in the dark in a cool cupboard, and most of my other seeds remain viable for up to 10 years living there!! maybe not these.....
    Anyone have any experiences with these, they are lovely cut flowers for the summertime.
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

Lots of seeds, like Marigolds will last for years without refrigeration. Some will last only for 1-5 if refrigerated. Some will simply not last long no matter what you do.

Did you sow the seeds on top of the soil? They need light to germinate if I remember correctly. Also, they can be slow to germinate and grow, but wow, aren't they gorgeous when they do?

They do great here in the spring, but as soon as the heat arrives, they tend to melt.

Hang on and keep trying. I don't have any information on the viability of the seeds.

Perhaps, someone else does?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I am between patients so i have been cruising the Search engine of the Internet. All the posts indicate that they are slow to germinate.....about 3 weeks. I have had them in a paper towel in the window for at least that long, but I will get some peat pellets out and sprinkle them on top. I don't want to waste any more time as they need to be growing by now!! They cost a bundle so i want to have something to show for the money.....
    Thanks, Ann
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread