+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: March Weather

Blog Entries
    The weatherman was all wet. Wichita did not get snow; we did get much needed rain however. Parts of northwest Kansas got up to 10 inches of snow and many motorists had to stop at motels in that area. It's interesting that on I-70 which runs through to Denver, they have gates on the ramps to the interstate that they close to keep motorists off the interstate. I never knew of such a thing.
    But back here in Wichita, it's wet and we had a light dusting of snow this morning. It is supposed to be 63 on Sunday !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Thankfully, our forecast was updated during the night as this front seems to be pettering out somewhat and we, or at least I didn't get the amount of snow previously predicted. Looks like 2, maybe 3 inches of compressed wet stuff. South of me and in the more southern parts of the state they did get more, but I don't think it was the (up to)10-inches previously predicted.

Of course this is not to say the snow fall we did get hasn't caused problems. Lots of slid-offs on the I-70 E/W and some in all the other usual places where people just don't know how to slow down for the road conditions. Funny how a good many of these vehicals are SUV's and other 4-wheel drives. Dumb. Temps in the 40's next three days so this snow won't last long at all.

I'm glad we didn't get what was originally predicted and I really hope this is the last of winter for a good 8 to 9 months! I need to see green! Green grass, green leaves on the trees and green foliage on all the perennials, annuals and others. Brown is NOT my favorite color!

Now if 'Baby', my senior citizen cat would just show up! Don't know where she stayed last night, but it wasn't inside and I haven't seen tracks anywhere. Fortunately I do have two shelters out back she can (and does) get into to stay warm and dry.

At least the snow hides the torn-up street in front of my place!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Shux!

I've been watching the forecast for days now, and it hasn't changed much.

It's hard to believe, but accuweather forecast 34 degrees for tonight (real feel of 27?), weather.com forecasts 38 and so does our local weather. Looks like we'll be having a couple of nights of cold, so I'll be going outside in a bit to start covering up the brugs, the Thunbergia Battiscombie, as well as putting some plants in the old gh and the porch. Then it's buckle down time on the plastic on the porch.

The hard part is that even though it is cold in the mornings when I leave for work, it gets awfully hot during the day with the sun bearing down on the old gh when it is shut up.

Oh, well... I was glad that I stayed home today and got some rest and peaceful quiet. Well, that is until the UPS guy rang the door bell, the chihuahua decided to bark like crazy and the guy hollered, it's by the back door.

When I opened it, I discovered a letter from HP saying that a laptop turned up missing with info regarding my retirement funds, so now I am being well informed about identity theft and precautions to take. Go figure.... Like I needed to hear about more paperwork to do, huh?

If it's not one thing, it's another...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It is race weekend here in Bristol. That usually means bad weather. They are calling for rain turning to snow tonight and tomorrow. Cold all weekend. The sun was out earlier and it felt warm. Dog got a good walk. We checked on passiflora, not up yet. Peoney starting up, primroses starting to bloom. Being a Jack Russell she doesn't stand still long enough to smell the flowers but that little busy nose is everywhere else.
    tennessee sue

All of the heavy rains went to the north of us, so I have starting the sprinklers.

Our temps only went down to the upper 30's the last couple of night, but still, a few plants were nipped by frost. I covered what I could and left them covered for 2 days. This morning, I removed the covers and all look just fine.

They'll have to get covered again tonight and tomorrow night. It's easier on the weekend because I'm here to remove the covers during the day. I'll probably leave them covered Monday, and that should be the end to our chance of frost bite. The forecast calls for lows in the 50s after that.

In the meantime, it is cool outside, so I hope to get plenty of weeding done, and it is time for fertilizer.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    NCAA Finale Four Here this week end, so we get bad weather and more silly snow, tomorrow I think, or is that today?? I can't keep up with it anymore.

Clouds and Sun have been playing peek-a-boo- for the last hour and it's been getting really dark when the sun is behind the clouds. I haven't looked, but these are probably snow/rain clouds. I don't think we need anymore moisture right now!

Down to mid 20's again tonight, yesterday's snow cover is gone so the plants will have to just tough it out.I am so desperatly ready for warm weather!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Our night time temps are finally where they should be, back in the lower 50's.

The only problem is that the highs are going to go up again.

Most of my tropical hibiscus are back outside. All of the non-blooming amaryllis are back out. A few have scapes, but that is okay. They aren't the named ones or at least they aren't the ones that I only have a few of...

The plastic is coming off, one section at a time. The water sprinklers are running like crazy and the yard is filled with weeds that need to be mowed.

This has been one crazy winter, and I am praying real hard for an easier spring, summer and fall.

It's definitely time to think about planting more seeds, and I still have some bargain basement bulbs to get into the gardens and hopefully fill in some bare spots where shade used to be.

Happy Spring! It is here and hopefully on the way upward to your zone soon.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, The race fans have gone and things return to normal around here, even the weather. It snowed all weekend. I felt sorry for all those poor campers. Temps are still only supposed to be in the 50's til the weekend then finally up to 70. I can't wait. I have lots of bulbs and plants to plants and bunches of seeds to start, thanks to Cathy and Rebeccca. The generosity of my friends here at Landspro is overwhelming.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2