+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: March Weather

March Weather

Okay, that does it...

I can't take any more of this!

They aren't listing any lows under the mid 40's forecasted for the next two weeks, and it rarely frosts after Mar. 15, SO...

I will play it smart and not totally remove the plastic on the porch, but plants are starting to go OUTSIDE where they can bask in the sun, and I can turn on the sprinklers.

It's 75 degrees and going to be 77 degrees tomorrow.

Spring? I think it is here already. Hopefully, it will start moving its way up north.

So, my northern Guys & Gals, please, please do not send any cold fronts to me for the next month, okay?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It is 75 degrees this morning and the humidity is 71%. It's supposed to get up to 81 degrees. It is blowing hard at times, but not as hard as yesterday.

This is about 10 degrees above average for us, but the forcecasters tell us that we do have some more average weather days in store for us.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's supposed to hit near 80 today and be freezing tomorrow. The only thing that is really growing are the wild onions that plague me. They really are a nuisance. Nothing for it but to keep chopping down the foliage and over the years, perhaps they will give up and die.

Some daffs are up, I saw a tiny bit of daylily being brave, and of course the garlic is up. But the wild onions are growing. SIGH

I don't even have any seeds started yet. Oh, well, getting done what I can, when I can. Been painting trim before it is put up. There is LOTS and LOTS of trim.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Sandi, I have bunches and bunches of green onions in my front flower bed. It is all over the hardy cyclamen I put there last fall. I am going to try painting it with weed killer. I plan to use a small paint brush so I won't get any on the good plants. I'll let you know how this works.
    It has been in the 70's here this week but it is raining now and supposed to turn cold again tomorrow. I am hopeful that warm weather will soon be here to stay.
    The daffodils and crocus have been beautiful this year. Today I noticed the Bradford Pears are starting to bloom.We have a lot here and they are beautiful. Also saw some star magnolias and tulip magnolias in bloom. Spring is finally here, hope it stays a while.
    tennessee sue

Cold Front

It's going to get COLD here tonight. I buckled up the porch and the greenhouse.

They've been saying 41 degrees F., but now they are saying 39. I have seen frost at 39, so decided I'd better get things ready so they won't get set back.

I see another cold front forecasted for March 24, so I guess the plastic will stay for another few weeks.

Gee! I would would like to remove it, though...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    March is going to be it's usually stubborn self here as well!

Weather for Lebanon, IN
    37F
    Clear
    Wind: SW at 7 mph
    Humidity: 57%

Tue
    Mostly Sunny
    42 | 24

Wed
    Mostly Sunny
    48 | 31

Thu
    Chance of Rain
    43 | 28

Fri
    Mostly Sunny
    40 | 21

A bit of a warm-up beginning Saturday with a low of 29, then percipitation possible beginning Sunday through Tuesday with lows in the mid 30's.

Well, I guess since March more or less came in like a lamb, it will have to go out like a lion.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Good grief! It was snowing this morning when I got up! At the same time, the Weatherbug was issuing a "nonprecipitating advisory". Huh? Whatever that means.

Now, at 9:30 am, the wind is blowing, snow gone. Sure is spring, isn't it? It never pays to get in too big a hurry in the spring. Those average last frost days are real.

We are talking two acres of those miserable onions. They grow through layers of cardboard, mulch, etc. They multiply like rabbits, seed like crazy. Fortunately, they grow, bloom, and die back. They come back briefly in the fall, and then return with a vengeance in the next spring. One year, we dug every bed down 10" or more, pulled out every bulb we could. Didn't phase them. Even if the weed killer works, they cover too much ground. Argh-h-h-h.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Sandi- Whacky weather, huh ?! We have high highs but still have low lows. I'll know we are heading in the right direction when the lows get higher. Regarding your wild onion, I read the following in this weekend's garden almanac. I don't know if you eschew(That word just popped into my head) chemicals but here it is:

In the lawn -- It's still too early to fertilize, unless you like to mow. And some people do. I have to admit I love the early-green lawns. But I don't have one.
    What I do have are the usual early-season weed suspects: wild onion, wild garlic and star of Bethlehem. These coarse blades growing from underground bulbs are pesky. You can pull up the plants to get rid of them. Or, if you want to use a chemical, you may want to try Weed Free Zone or Speed Zone this year, Upham says.
    They contain carfentrazone, which has recently been found to attack all three weeds. A spreader-sticker will make the spray more effective, and some of the products already have the spread sticker mixed in. These same chemicals are good to use on dandelions as well.
    Other herbicides also are labeled for wild onion and wild garlic.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Sandi. I guess 2 acres would be too much for a paint brush! I tried digging these out but it just seemed to make them multiply faster than before. I got some weed killer the other day but now I have to wait for it to get warm again.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    http://www.wunderground.com/US/KS/Wichita.html

Kinda looks like Rebecca's weather although if it moves from west to east it will be her weather soon ! I guess more of the same.

For us, this looks to be our winter. We have been so spoiled with warm temps. I had to rewrap the coldframe last night and will have to curtail my plant buying exuberance--bought Iceburg rose and Bowl of Beauty Peony so far. I'm kind of glad we will have some weather to force me to work indoors--have to start seeds. Also, still have some post moving uppacking/sorting to do. And, those daylilies and lilies in the garage need attention again. Those lilies scare me; I think they will want to bloom very soon. How do they do all that without light ?

Blog Entries
    Yuck! I just had to go look and if Cat is right and I end up getting what she is (a few days later) then March will be going out like a lion. Bummer; I am soo sick of cold weather!

I DID see some of the Liliums poking through so the soil is still managing to warm up in spite of all the cold nights, so there's hope!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Great Googly Moogly !
    Accuweather is saying 3-6 inches of snow on Monday and our local weather is showing 19 degrees Tuesday night. Winter has arrived ! Not sure about that snow thing ; will keep checking local stations. Might have to work from home Monday; kewl!

Blog Entries
    We have a "Winter Storm Advisory", isn't that wondermous. NOT! Snow will begin around 1 AM and end around 5 PM with accumulation expected to be between 4 and 7-inches. I am so happy that I don't have to be out driving in it! But I feel for all the comuters headed to work in the morning; what a mess that is going to be and we haven't had enough snow this winter for folks to have developed any smart driving tactics for driving in it. There will be a lit of slide offs and acidents I am sure, hopefully none will be serious.

Garden wise, most of what I have up will not be affected too badly, some of the Daffodils might not be too happy and some bloom will be lost on the earlier varieies. The snow crocus will be covered and probably smashed since this is supposed to be a wet heavy snow. The Giant Crocus haven't set buds yet, so they will be okay. None of my trees or shrubs have budded, except the Flowering Almond and it is still rather tight so it should be okay too. The evergreen and semi-evergreen daylilies will be knocked back some, but they'll bounce right back and the dormants that are up will get some brown edges but will quickly grow out of it. The only plants I am really concerned about are the small seedlings over in the other bed, they've had it rough all winter, the only saving grace for them may be the creeping weeds that have inundated the beds and giving some cover/protection to a good many of the smaller seedlings. I'm trying to look at it as nature's last chance to cull the weaklings from the crop and open space for new seedlings. That's one of the reaason's I don't mulch my seedling beds as it takes really hardy, tough plants to make it through the winter.

The good part of all this snow will be the added moisture right as the weather warms and new growth really gets under way. Timely early spring moisture, be it from snow or rain always seems to give the plants a boost and they are better able to get through a tough summer.

Guess I've just seen too many winters to really worry about the plants. The strong always survive whatever nature dishes out ourside of catastrophic weather events, and some plants even come through those.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Okay, okay....

I tend to 'baby' some of my plants. Not all, just some, and it appears that this weekend, I will have to baby a few subtropicals.

The amaryllis that are outside in the ground will be covered with a comforter. The ones in the ground will be covered with frost cloth.

The brugs will be covered with frost cloth, and so will the Thunbergia Battiscombie.

I haven't taken the plastic off the porch, so it will be buckled back down. I learned a long time ago not to depend on no frost until after the first week of April.

Sounds like this cold front is a bitter, bitter one and natures way of saying, "Hey, winter ain't over yet!"

Most of the bad storms are passing us by on the north. We could actually use some more rain and have a shortage of 5" already this month. I surely hope that does not mean that hurricane season will make up for the loss of heavy March rains (floods).
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The first day of spring was lovely here in NE Tn. I ent to bed this morning when I came home from work and woke up to big fluffy snow flakes. It smowed most of the day tho it didn't stick much. It is really slushy. It will be a mess if it freezes tonight. Hopefully it won't. Cathy did you get your called for snow. We were only supposed to have a chance of rain.
    That is how spring goes isn't it?
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast