+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Primroses to perk up your winter

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Primroses to perk up your winter

Oh my, when I look at these little beauties it makes my heart sing ! Found them on sale in Home Depot..I guess they were Valentine's Day overstock. Have a white one with yellow centers just loaded with blooms and a raspberry one with yellow(on the same petal as the raspberry) in towards the petal beginnings(yes, that is a technical term!-LOL!) What a delight on a freezing day !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Aren't they gorgeous?

They have been on our shelves for the last month, but I resist them. I've gotta tell you that this is very, very, very hard. They don't like our early heat, so they don't last long enough here.

But gee, I love them, and I enjoy hearing about those of you that can grow them. They are fantastic creations of beauty!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I have a huge number and variety of primroses out in my garden. Whites, yellows, dark blues, reds and pinks. They have no trouble reproducing themselves, and this spring when I divide them again, I'm moving them to a larger bed. I also have seven varieties of their less hardy cousins--cape primroses that live in my windows in the winter and go outside in the summer. I'm about to divide them (like I do every winter), but I'm afraid I don't need twenty or more--even though I really like them. I'm especially overrun with blues (unfortunately no pictures), . If anyone would like to give one or more a good home, they should be ready in a couple of weeks.
    Attached Images  

I buy some every winter only to loose them through summer - I think it must get too hot for them

Blog Entries
    No, primroses do not like the heat! Mine grow on the shady side of my house. They get a lot of indirect light, and it seems to agree with them.
    Last edited by Rowan; 02-07-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: italic sign showed up in the post

Blog Entries
    Rowan- How do you maintain them indoors ? I bought one for my Mom and it is indoors(she lives in Independent Living). Her apt. faces north--she has it on the living room table, in the middle of the room--about 10 feet from the window- and it is getting new growth. Any indoor care advice ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Streptocarpus (name I know these beauties by) now if I could just grow them! Tried and failed too many times to recall.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rowan
    The pale blue is absolutely gorgeous
    I have a pale pink with a magenta throat which I will post when it reblooms - just finishing off now but has more buds coming.
    Abby

+ Reply to Thread