+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Intermitent Mist

Re: Sounds Good!

John,
    What was that Brand Name and model number again?

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

Here's the link to the Drip Irrigation Store's propagation controllers and valves:
    http://www.dripirrigation.com/cgi-bi...to.htm?E+drip1

They have AC or battery powered controllers -- select only from the items that have "yes" in the propagation column as these are the controllers which have the mist cycle capability. This is really the low-cost way to go to get started. The battery operated controller comes with attached solinoid valve and operates on two 9 volt batteries. (My model C026 operated from April 15 to Nov 15 on one set of batteries. I put fresh batteries in the unit each Spring.) Note: these are professional propagation controllers and are not the ones (Nelson type) that many backyard growers had problems with as reported on Mike's boards last year.

I guess I didn't answer the question on BRAND NAME, it is DIG Corporation, Vista, CA (the unit is made in Israel).

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes---We did have a great Thanksgiving visiting relatives in PA Dutch country..... so much food ..too little time!!

Happy Holidays!!

John M in Maryland

Here are the 2 timers you need and the valve and mist nozzles. You need the 24 hour timer (t101), the Cycle timer (C8815), nozzles (black).

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1280

Here is the transformer.

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1337

The rest are pipe fittings, pipe and a hose.

Old Fashioned Mister

When I was 20 I worked in a wholesale nursery. They used a mist timer that worked off of weight and not a set time. It was built like a little teeter totter about 14 inches long. On one end was a weight and on the other was a piece of screen about 4 inches square.

the water would come on, accumulate on the screen until the screen was heavier than the other side and the water would turn off. As the water evaporated making the screen light again the water would come on.

This seems like a great system as it would adjust to the conditions in the greenhouse.

Are these just old fashioned and not in use anymore or was this an old timers secret gadget?

jb

mister

J.B.
    They still make those misters.They are called Mist-A-Matic and sell for $185.00.
    William B.

Yes, they still make them and use them, and Mist-a-Matic is one brand name among several...

The subject of misting, how often to mist and how long to mist is a complicated one. It depends a lot on the particular cultural requirements of the plant that you are propagating and your specific environmental conditions.

For many plants, just keeping the leaves moist (ie., reducing transpiration) is enough. For others, that may be too much or too little. That is why there are more complicated mist control systems. Some even take the environmental conditions into consideration, and use controllers to turn the mist off or on depending on those conditions.

In a small nursery and home landscape environment, this is usually accomplished by 'observing' and making the appropriate decisions based on those observations.

Here are some links that I found:

Installation of Mist Propagation Equipment
    By the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service

Installation of Mist Propagating Equipment
    Same as the above link in Acrobat Reader Format with Better Drawings....

Mist Propagating Systems
    Guam Cooperative Extension - University of Guam
    (This one has some excellent images of equipment parts..)

A Simple Intermittent Mist System for Propagation
    by North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service

Please note that when using intermittent mist, consideration must be made of the effect that misting has on the soil, such as leaching of nutritional ingrediates in the potting mix. Most large nurseries will test for this and add amendments to the water supply to compensate.

Like I said, it can get complicated. It depends on how far you want to go with it, and how successful you want to be...

And, again, it pays to know the requirements of the plant you are propagating. Some do not require any mist and all, and some do not do well under mist!

Quite frankly, I have propagated many plants without a mist system, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I would be as successful producing large quantities of these plants as I would be with a mist system and the appropriate controls.

When needed, it pays to learn more...

And I certainly hope this helps you do just that!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Where are you, what are you doing?

Not so far from me there is a paper company pine tree grower. The guy who roots the millions of pine trees from cuttings each year, is a friend of mine. He had installed a mist-a-matic in their operation, because it sounded ideal for them. As it turns out, they only used it for a short while because at certain parts of the year, it does exactly what Ann described, it makes the cuttings too wet. Now, this mans full time job is managing this rooting operation, and they have many, many mist systems going year around. The controllers are very adjustable as to frequency and duration of mist cycle. They make those adjustments based on experience with the plants, and seasons. I don't know how often they adjust them, but they are constantly checking for air, plant, and soil moisture to see if adjustment is needed. Their zone specific mist controller was quite expensive, and flexible. They also apply fertilizer through the mist system based on the age and need of the various beds.

My point is this, there is no single "mist controller" that will solve every propagators needs. Here in the deep south, where the humidity can sometimes range in the upper 90's, the timing would be quite different from out west where the humidity can go down to 10-15%. So, anyone who tells you that "all you need" is some pre-set timer, has not considered where you live, and what you are doing, nor what your experience is.
    Last edited by Tom; 02-14-2003 at 07:07 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Gosh!

This brings back memories!

Where has the time gone?

It is doubtful that many of the links in this thread work, but I'd be interested in hearing about new ones.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Ann,

Good to see that you got the new and improved version up and running. (I still say that if you need some monetary support, you should ask me, and other members). I think I first discovered this site because of a person (I don't think he posts anymore) that I met on GW, who respnded to my offer on how to build your own mist timer, for just a few bucks. I can still offer these instructions, and diagrams, for anyone who wants them .
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John,
    I would love to have your instructions, etc. I'm quite poor and this could help alot. I've been rooting cuttings in a large deli cake container. Mums did quite well in there.
    Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thank you, John! Eventually, I will add a PayPal icon for contributions, but this would be strictly voluntary. Right now, I am behind on several projects here. Obviously, contributions would help.

Vicki,

Click on John's member name, pull down to view public profile, click on contact information, then click on his home page link which is his website:

http:://www.johngrows.com

Then click on "tips & tricks".

Don't forget to look at his plant pictures!

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, Neat!

Vicki, it is even easier than that!!!

When you click on John's member name, on the pull down menu, you can select to visit his homepage. I tried it, and it is soooooo easy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki- Hope you got the information you wanted. If not, post again.

Please keep in mind two things, with these instructions.
    1. They were written several years ago, so prices of some components may have gone up somewhat.
    2. You need to use an old fashioned alarm clock, one with hour and minute hands that go around, not one with a digital read out.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Thanks John! Wow do u grow all those tropicals? Kewl!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I am presently on vacation and have the luxury of reading all the posts I always wanted to review. Thank heavens for this forum and this series of postings. I eventually hope to set up a misting system, and eventually I might be able to do it with the wonderful discussions still available here. thank you everyone for participating....I am still in the "coke bottle over the yogurt container" system but one day......
    Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast