+ Reply to Thread

Thread: February Weather

February Weather

I guess it's time since we are about to go back into the winter stage for a couple of days. It's a chilly and windy 58 degrees right now with a low of 44 in the morning.

Then, I have to make some decisions. Sunday and Monday AM are forecasted to be below 30 degrees which most likely means hard freezes for my little valley.

Tulip (magnolias) are in bloom and of course, camellias are in bloom as well as the Carolina Jasmine, Daffodils and more paperwhites, but alas... Some of those blooms will be bitten by the freeze. I don't recall the daylily fans ever looking quite so nice and thick this time of the year, but they also will take a hit.

I know that most of you are going to be even colder. It seems that winter has come back, but I won't complain. It's been really nice to see green where we don't normally see green this time of the year.

Hang in there! Spring is on the way. In 5 more days, I can say one month and counting. Betcha I don't wait that long before planting at least some seeds.

The frost blankets will be coming out of storage tomorrow as well as the Kerosene heater so that the electric one can go in the old gh. After all, this is only going to last for a couple of days. I do believe that it is worth it...

Hang in there!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Over 80...

I do believe that it went over 80 degrees today. And just think, the air conditioning is off at the school. Let me tell you what happens when students get too hot. They get sulky and slow, and have difficulty concentrating.

Who would have thought that it would get this hot in February, but it does at times. They were forecasting some 30's for next week, but I see that those have risen to low 40's.

Two more school days, and I get a week off. Actually, teachers only get 4 days, but I am seriously thinking about taking Friday as a personal day and perhaps just popping in for a couple of hours.

This is one tired teacher who is ready for a break!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rain, Rain and More Rain!

Most of it has gone to the north of me, so I know that Tom has gotten drenched.

We did get one heavy storm early this afternoon, and I see there is potential for more tonight.

Thank goodness that it is Saturday. I hate to drive in this type weather.

The grounds are getting soaked and that will make digging easier this week. I plan to get numerous, well, lots of plants in the ground. We have a possibility of slight frost later this week, but I don't think it will bother anything that I am planning on planting.

Also, I hope to get lots and lots of pots ready for daylily seeds. I see several are sprouting in the fridge, so I don't think I have much time to get this done. Some are going into deep cell pacs in the old greenhouse. I have found that they do better out there than in the patio. They simply get more light, and I think it is a little warmer.

2 more weeks until average last frost, and I am READY mentally, but physically, I am quite behind.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We have gotten 2" of rain in the past 24 hrs, on top of a very saturated ground. The pond has been overflowing for the past two weeks. The problem is, all this rain has made the ground much too wet to be doing much digging, and I've got lots of shrubs that need to be planted.
    Several things are starting to bloom now. Jonquils and quince are both in full bloom. The pear and plumb trees are blooming some, but as usual, we will probably get another frost or two just about the time they are in full bloom.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

The old canning pear tree has bloomed and is starting to leaf out. The sprawled out fig tree is somehow still living. I suspect it will grow more root system on the huge branches that are touching the surface of the soil.

It's hard to believe, but my oldest Gerbera never went completely dormant. I suppose that is partially because it is so protected by the camellia that now completely shades and protects it. It's in its own tiny little microclimate.

Our ground is wet, but not soggy, Tom. Most of that rain in the last two weeks has gone by to the north of us. It is cool and windy today and supposed to get near freezing tonight.

We are going to get some highs in the upper 70's, possible low 80's in the days to come. Hopefully, we've had our last really hard freeze. I think we only had the one really hard freeze this winter and it didn't get quite as cold as they thought.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Tom-I like your avatar !(the tiger lily!)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh! I like it too!

I wonder if the ones you sent me will come back up this year. If so, I will mark them and move them to a remote corner where the wild weed whacker won't clip them.

If not, I still have some that are growing from the scales, and they appear to be getting much bigger this year. They need a bigger pot.

Cathy, I was reminded of you when I was clearing out and cleaning the old gh today. I am exhausted, but amazed at how much I did get done. Blackberry vines had literally taken over and were growing in and out of everything. I only managed to get half of it cleared and most of the potted cuttings, seedlings, etc. weeded.

I found a hanging basket filled with baby ferns. They are so cute. Now, I couldn't get that to happen if I tried. Then I found a few more ferns growing with other things. I left them alone.

I found two different passifloras that I had forgotten were in there.

Grandmother's hens and chicks had spread over the edge and behind the shelf and as I looked underneath, I found TOO many of them. I repotted some and tossed the rest to fend for themselves in a flowerbed. I wished that I had known years ago that they were hardy here. She had them in Bayou La Batre on the front porch and of course, they hardly ever get a frost there.

Well, I shut the greenhouse for the night and will have to get up early to start filling cell paks and sowing seeds. More about that in the seed forum.

Bye, Bye February! Hello Spring! I sure hope we have seen the last frost here, but I won't count on it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Fear not dear one,
    I've got a LOT of those Tigers, and about 50 or more coming on. By the way, they will fair much better if you get them out in the ground. The need really good drainage. Otherwise, they should come back with pups year after year. I've cut back quite a bit on the fertilizer, they get way too tall, and try to fall over. Now I don't have to tie them up.

I've learned that the bulbils really grow much faster if they are planted just below the surface in potting soil, or compost in a deep pan instead of those little pots, or cells. They are also much faster than rooting the scales, but maybe not as much fun.

I don't know if you have the same "Hens & Chicks" that I do, but they do just fine outside, in the ground or in a pot. In fact 'Aunt Lily' up in northern Wisc has them growing outside in a flower bed. I don't think those little cool-offs we call winter can compare to her 20 below periods.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

It wouldn't surprise me if the ones I have are like yours. I am sure they are the pass alongs. Grandma Jones had a lot of those. She was also great with hybrid roses which is amazing considering considering our climate and she lived on a creek near the bayou with sandy loam soil. She definitely had a green thumb.

I'll try to get a picture of the ones outside. They get hit by a flying ball once in awhile, but they manage to do just fine. I love it when they bloom.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread