+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gloxinia Seed Pod

House Plant Seed Pod

Hey, ALL!

I am always thrilled when a house plant produces a healthy, ripe seed pod, and NOPE, I didn't hand pollinate this one.

Just to have some fun, I thought I would let you guess what this one is...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hey, I've seeen that before and know exactly what it is! It's a "florist's Gloxinia". Yet something doesn't look quite right about it. Did the capsule open prematurely?

Rebecca

PS

Gloxinias are a lot of fun to grow from seed. They can reach blooming size in 6 to 9 months and, even on "bee pods", have quite a bit of variation in color.

PPS

It was the harsuit corolla that gave it away even before I checked out the leaf that is showing.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Somehow, I knew that you would get this one. Indeed, it is a gloxinia. No, it did not open prematurely. The only way that I could take the pic was with a flash, and the flash prevents me from taking a true macro picture. Ie., the flash gives it a more greenish bright tint whereas the pod is actually more brownish.

Sort of neat, though, to be able to take that close of a picture with a flash. I did not dare take it outside in natural light because the north winds are howling.

The seeds are very, very tiny!

Gloxinia, it is and I will change the title of the thread. I will grow these as soon as the pod gets a little more brown. I love growing these from seed. Like you say, they bloom fast from seeds. Also, they form little bulb like structures that go dormant during the winter, and they, quite amazingly thrive outdoors in the shade the rest of the year here.

Way to go, Rebecca!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes, indeed, they do form a tuber, much like that of the "tuberous Begonias" but I think they are more fleshy. Gloxinias can also be grown from leaf cuttings, about the only way to reproduce an exact replica of the parent plant, and these will also form tubers if kept growing after they finish blooming.

((% of the Gloxinias sold as gift plants are grown from seeds and many recepiants do not know htat they should keep the plant growing until it begins to show signs of dormancy. Also, sometimes a plant can be cut back after the initial bloom is finished and new growth will sprout.

Most Gloxinias will produce more than one sprout on the main bulb and this makes it possible to cut the tuber into sections, each with it's own sprout or "eye", dust with sulpher and allow to heal over before planting. Kept warm and barely moist, these will eventually make enough new growth that they can then be cared for just like any other Gloxinia.

I used to grow a lot of the Gloxinias as well as other member s of the Saintpaulia family (African Violets, Strapocarpus, Achemienes, Sinnigeas (the true Gloxinias) and many others. I don't seem to have the touch for even growing African Voilets these days although I do have Achemenies and my "Nodding Violet" (one of the small leaved hresuit Streptocarpus). I think I have two AV left in the monster terrarium, but they don't bloom for me any. They don't get enough light, but they do have beautiful variegated foliage so it really doesn't seem to matter that I don't see blooms on them as they are still very pretty with their green, pink and white variegated foliage. I can't grow a simple Boston Fern here either.

If I were to take the time to really think about it there would be a lot of "house plants" that I can not grow here but have been able to grow in other places I have lived. Even the last place I live, which was only a few blocks away, allowed me to grow several that just don't like it here, not even under the lights.

I'm down to 2 whole Phalaenopsis orchids and one sad looking thing with one leaf hanging on but no "heart". It's bloom spike from last sumer remains green and I am hoping it will produce an offset before it finally dies. The 2 "whole plants" have tried to bloom, but have not yet been able to because the conditions just aren't quite right. Hopefully they will be able to when they go outside for the summer. The Dendrobiums are all just sitting there. Some have made some new leads, buton the whole they are not happy campers either. The one little bi-generic, however, is doing well and I expect to see it bloom come summer.

Most of my house plants are loking rather winter worn and werry now, even the cacti and succulents and I know they will be happy for warm weather to get here. Almost as happy as I will be.

Even have news on the Amaryllis front.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Our WM are packaging some in fansy pacages as dried, potted bulbs, I think. I have resisted.

Anyway, I love them too, and I am always thrilled to see an old one emerge again. I have to admit that I missed a few thinking that they were dead, but they weren't. They were just dormant. However, I do have to remember to bring the dormant ones inside and that is where I goof.

Here is today's image of the seed pod.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread