+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One of those gardening surprises !

Blog Entries

One of those gardening surprises !

I was digging up lily bulbs (from the house I'm moving from) and let me tell you those suckers can hide ! I had finally located one of my Loretto bulbs and recalled they were planted in a triangle, so I went about finding the other 2. I found another 1 so I was now sure where the third should be(ask Ann it's a math thing).
    I also now knew the depth. There I was a digging away when I unearthed a bulb, huh ? , what ? , EW WEE !, it's not a bulb, it's a huge toad ! I let out a yelp and jumped away. I was more surprised than anything. I went back and looked at it. He was a very pale green--just like a lily bulb and the poor thing was groggy from hibernation. I dug another hole and made sure the soil was loose and put him in it and wished him sweet dreams til spring.
    But that was some surprise !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ain't nature grand? I'm just glad I don't have to spend the winter in cold mud.

Oh, I wish I hadn't said that--it instantly reminded me of the people in Pakistan living in tents. I have much to be greatful for.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Sandi- Actually the toad was in very rich sandy loam and since it hasn't rained for months, it is nice dry sandy loam with afternoon sun. That toad definitely had selected prime real estate for his long winter nap.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I've read this thread several times and grinned each time I read it. I can see you jumping back, just the same as I would if there was a critter hidden.

A few minutes ago, I did the same thing. I decided to harvest one of the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow seed pods that was starting to turn brown. It was the smallest of the pods and the oldest. I was thinking, I can't imagine it taking a year for a pod to ripen, so I planned to sneak a peak at the inside of this one to see what was going on.

This little critter jumped just a bit, and definitely took me my surprise. I believe you call this a green tree frog, but I'm not sure because he is wider and fatter than most I have seen. I ran inside to prepare my camera and he was still lazily sitting there. The camera wouldn't focus for some reason (have to look that error up when I have a chance. I turned on the flash, and had to adjust the flash several times before the camera would take the picture. All this time, he just lazily stayed in the same position and didn't flicker, not even once (flash and all). I actually took several pictures and he didn't seem to even notice.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread